April 8, 2017

Mama's Boy

Rick pursed his lips grimly as he nodded. "I thought maybe Jason was holding back. He says he's not but I know he's trying to protect you - whether it's conscious or not." He thought for several long moments. "He's holding back because he doesn't want to hurt you, but in doing so, he's hurting himself, and perhaps just prolonging the inevitable."

He reached down to give her shoulder a pat. "Rest. Take your vitamins and make sure he does too. It'll all be okay." It would be. Of that, he had no doubt. But sometimes "okay" meant the ultimate end that no one here wanted or was prepared for.

Leaving for a while, he went back to the ranchyard then to his bunkhouse. One wall inside, he had hung large sheets of paper that were full of scribbles, notes and bits of information. He stared at it - studied it - for a long while, recalling past events, any patterns, and trying to predict what might lie ahead. Eventually he left, and went to Mick and Rosetta's.

After being let in and joining them in the living room, he spoke his mind. "Katie and Jason aren't getting better. They're getting worse."

Sitting next to Rosetta on the couch, Mick stiffened. "What does that mean?"

"I'm not sure. Actually I'm hoping it just agrees with life's lesson of it gets worse before it gets better. Actually making it better though... that's the trick."

"So you're not treating them at all?"

Rick shook his head. "Not like I used to, no. It was their request and I respect that. All I'm doing is helping keep them as comfortable as I can, and trying to keep their strength up. They're both weakening though."

Mick's eyes narrowed. "But... you have an idea, don't you?"

"Maybe. Do you have a place here that's far away from any buildings or people or animals?"

Mick blinked. "Um... Yeah. The east pasture. We're letting the grass grow. It's where we sometimes do target practice. Why?"

"I... I want Jason to open up. He's been holding back."

"Won't that hurt Katie?"

"That's a good possibility." Rick nodded grimly and glanced at Rosetta. He knew she looked after Katie like a daughter. "It could... in theory... kill her. But... I have a hope that instead, it will force their connection open wider where it's supposed to be. Like... like opening a pickle jar. You have to apply pressure - sometimes a lot - before it'll open." He sighed. "I know Katie will do it if I suggest it... but I don't want to suggest it before I have your approval. And Jeff's. I just... felt I should talk to you two first without alarming her father yet."


Zan chuckled, his eyes twinkling. "Well..." He cocked his head. "I gotta be honest. You don't strike me as somebody who would hang out at a place like that, but... It could still be fun. It can be a rowdy bunch, but nothing too bad goes on if you don't stick around too late after the races." He'd done that a few times and had regretted it. For the most part though, most nights really weren't bad.

"Come on. I'll let you follow me there." He stood, but had to swipe one more brownie before closing the container. "Mm... I'm gonna have a sugar high now." He motioned her to follow, and held the door open for her as they stepped outside. "We're just going to the east end of town," he directed. "This is my car, here." He pointed to his arm so she'd know which one to follow. It was a sleek looking car, painted green and black. His recent accident had left several places where the paint job needed to be fixed, but at least it was running again.

It took about fifteen minutes to get where they were going, and instead of driving into the thick of things like normal, he parked out along the edge, where most other spectators parked as well. Getting out, he waited for Destiny, then nodded towards the crowd. It was after dark now, so the burn barrels were lighting up the scene.

Zan kept his pace slow enough so Destiny could keep up, his eyes scanning the crowd for familiar faces.

"Yo, Zan man!" A rather scrawny man approached with a wide grin. His dark hair was shaved along the sides and spiked on top, and an array of tattoos ran down his neck to disappear beneath his t-shirt, then reappear all the way down his right arm. He gave Zan a hearty handshake. "Where's your car? And who's your angelic shadow?"

Zan gave him a smirk. "Be nice. This is a new friend of mine, Destiny. She's a first-timer so I need someone to keep an eye on her."

"Aw, right." The guy's smile widened even more and he offered Destiny a handshake. "I'm Jett. Nice to meet ya."

Zan glanced at Destiny. "You can trust him," he assured. "He won't let anybody bother you."

Jett put a dramatic fist over his heart. "I will defend you with my life."

Zan snickered. "Don't let his size fool ya. He can be pretty scrappy."

Jett whacked his arm. "Yeah, should seen me last night. Thunder came after me."

"What? Why?"

"'Cause I told him he drove like a mama's boy."

Both of them cracked up and Zan shook his head. "And you actually escaped his wrath?"

"Well I..." Jett choked on his stifled laughter as his face reddened. "I run fast."

Zan laughed again before turning his attention back to Destiny. "Okay, I gotta go get to the starting line so they know I'm here to race. You be alright if Jett shows you around?"