April 20, 2017

Prettiest Girl

Feeling Destiny's eyes on him, Zan glanced in her direction. The fact that she'd prayed for the meal hadn't escaped him. She seemed quite conservative for someone whose family was involved in shady affairs, and whose boyfriend sounded like such a jerk. She was complicated - that much he could see. But she wasn't harsh. Her spirit was gentle and her actions kind. A combination that was difficult to find anymore. 

Realizing she'd just asked him something, he dispersed the thoughts from his mind and took another bite of chicken. A light chuckle surfaced and he shook his head. "Naw, I didn't start racing til I moved out here. I caused a bit of trouble in high school, but not that much trouble." He grinned. "Always liked cars though. Instead of going to college, I started working under a guy at an auto shop and he taught me to be a mechanic. After that, I couldn't get enough." 

It was also a car accident that had flipped his world upside down. He was lost for a moment in the past... a past the had haunted him the last several years. He blinked and took another bite of food to give himself several extra moments. "After I landed here, I got wind of the races and thought it sounded like fun. I... needed a distraction. So I got myself a different car and started learning how to drive in the sand. Haven't gotten as good as I want yet, but at least I've got a couple years under my belt. Unfortunately... now I'm officially addicted to going fast."

He took a sip of his pop and smiled at Destiny. "What about you? Were you a... trouble maker in high school?" he teased. "No wait... let me guess." He sat back and studied her a moment. "You were top of your class... so well behaved, you prolly got picked on for it... and you were the prettiest girl at prom."


"You won't wear out your welcome." Tal rolled his eyes. "At least not here, although I find it hard to believe you'd wear out your welcome anywhere." His cheeks grew warm again and he stuffed another bite of pizza in his mouth.

"You can stay as long as you want," he added. "If you stay til supper time, we'll just have to go grab a burger or something, though." He glanced at her and gave her a crooked grin. "That's code for, 'If you stay that long, you're stuck here and I can't stand these four walls any longer.'"