April 14, 2017

Wannabe

"Hey there." Zan smiled as Destiny joined him before he shook his head. "I've only been here a couple minutes." Cocking his head, he gave her a deliberate once-over as his smile widened. "I think I under-dressed. You look great." 

"Hi, guys." Carson slung a towel over his shoulder as he came over to the table. Aerith had been helping him in the kitchen and Thirteen was gonna be here any minute, so for now, he was handling tables. He hadn't been paying much attention though, and only now realized it was Destiny sitting here with the other man. His eyebrows rose. "Oh, Destiny, hi." 

Zan looked back and forth between them for a second. Not that Destiny couldn't know anybody - it wasn't unusual. He just hadn't expected it. 

Carson's mind went a thousand different directions in just that second. He only knew Destiny from a few brief interactions through the Elite because of Chance, but it was more than enough to recognize her. He knew what was going on with Chance now... and he also knew Destiny had very few friends, if any. So who was this guy with her that was dressed like a biker wannabe? Carson forced a smile regardless. "What can I get you two to drink?"


"Perfect!" Eli spread his arms and turned to head back inside. "Come on. Make food and be merry."

Hunter laughed and slung his arm around Ryan's shoulders. "Being merry... sounds like a good idea." 

It wasn't much later that all three were prepping food, and for a few minutes, Hunter and Eli were alone on the back patio as Eli grilled the hamburgers. Hunter leaned back against the railing and squinted one eye at Eli through the thin smoke. "So, um... I'm... kinda surprised that..." He picked at a splinter in the railing. 

"That I let you come back here?" Eli finished. He could tell Hunter wasn't a hundred percent yet, and knew very well why.

Hunter bit his lip. "That, and you didn't come drag your sister away from my apartment."

Eli quirked an eyebrow. "Any reason I should have?"

"No." Hunter held up his hands. "Nooo, nope."

"Good."

Hunter watched as Eli went back to the meat, but still felt unsettled. "She... said she told you about... what happened."

"She did." 

Hunter couldn't stand the lack of reaction. All he had was Ryan's perspective that her brother was okay with him still, but he had to hear it from himself, and Eli was giving him nothing. "And... we're good?"

Eli sighed and set his utensil aside before looking at Hunter again and cocking his head. "Before I answer that, how are you doing?" 

"Um... I'm okay. Better than yesterday, not as good as tomorrow."

Eli nodded slowly. "What happened?" 

"Bad day... Bad excuse... I'm just... sorry it happened." 

"Well, it won't happen here. You ever feeling like you can't take it, you're welcome here any time, alright?"

Hunter nodded. "Ryan, she... told me what you did. I'm... grateful. Surprised... humbled... but grateful."

"Why should you be surprised?"

"Well it's not every day somebody will get rid of what they like just to accommodate someone else, especially when they're the idiot." 

Eli chuckled. "I didn't need it anyway. And besides... a little sacrifice is worth it." He paused. "I'm sure it hasn't been easy. Just make sure you don't keep trying to go it alone, alright? 'Cause you won't make it." 

Hunter swallowed hard. "I've kinda figured that out. Thank you... for giving me a chance."

"Eh." Eli shrugged and turned back to the hamburgers before they burned. "I kinda like you. Now go help my sister with that plate of veggies or she'll blame me for keeping you."

Hunter gave a light laugh, and headed back inside. Coming up behind Ryan at the counter, he reached over her shoulder and snitched a carrot to munch on. "You have an incredible brother, you know that?"

Back outside, Eli flipped the burgers and checked his watch, waiting for Scarlet. She was leaving again tomorrow, so he wanted to make sure he spent every minute he could with her beforehand.