April 15, 2017

Big Bad Guys

As Zan listened to Destiny, his eating slowed and eventually stopped altogether. He set his elbows on the table, just listening - once in a while taking a sip of pop, but mostly just listening. As she concluded with the added chance to just walk away now, his eyes narrowed slightly. And for a long few moments, he was completely silent. His gaze roamed her face and searched her eyes as deeply as he could. Eventually though, his sights dropped to the table. "That... was a whole lot heavier than I expected." An apologetic little smile curled his lips. "And I'm sorry... for making you bring it up. I had no idea." 

After a couple moments, he looked back up at her. "You hinted at all this the other night but I guess I just hoped for your sake that it wasn't that bad." He swallowed hard as emotions flooded his gaze. He gave a little scoff and looked away again, shaking his head. "Sorry. I just... I guess I was thinking about how unfair life can be to people who deserve something a whole lot better."

He paused, then opened his mouth to say more, but clamped it shut again as he changed his mind's route. No... no, he couldn't do that yet... if ever. He didn't ever tell anyone that part of his life. He sighed deeply and leaned back in his chair. "I can tell a lot of people have hurt you... and maybe other people would tuck tail and run, I dunno." He shrugged. "But... just so you know... none of that scares me. So you got some baggage. Who doesn't? The big bad guys is kinda new." He cracked a smile as he chuckled. "Maybe I need to start looking over my shoulder a little more often, but... I see no reason to walk away from somebody who... makes me smile." He meant it, too. "People think my life is all fun and glamorous, all in the spotlight of the races, in the middle of the action and all that but... in reality... it's been kind of dull. Something's been missing and... I dunno... the last couple days I've had something to look forward to."

He picked up another slice of pizza and took a bite. "Not to mention... you've got good tastes in food." He grinned, hoping to see her smile again too.


Tal rolled his eyes at the mention of the hospital. "You and me both." He watched as Brooke pulled out the stinger and patched him up, grinning at the smiley face. "You should be a nurse." He downed the benadryl with a little water, then quirked an eyebrow. "Maybe you are, I guess I don't know." 

He gave her a wry grin. "Don't think I can rest though. I'm in the middle of moving, so that means packing and hauling boxes. The cheesy movies sound like a good idea though." He walked behind her out of the bathroom, heading back towards the kitchen to go outside. "So... you're living with Scarlet, right?"