April 21, 2017

Only One

Destiny's words didn't change anything, but maybe they did make Zan feel a little better. She'd figured right that he blamed himself... was it that obvious? Was she right that Isabella wouldn't want him to blame himself? More than likely.

His eyes fell to their hands as Destiny took his. Her touch was warm. Soft. Caring. He swallowed hard as his emotions churned, and he ran his thumb over her fingers. "Maybe I just keep the locket around as a constant reminder," he reasoned quietly. "People think it's a good luck charm, when really​... it's my punishment."

He sighed deeply and gave Destiny's hand a squeeze before he retreated. "Just don't tell Jett. He'll go mad with jealousy." A little grin finally surfaced again and he dared to look at Destiny's face once more. "On the upside, I've got a little sister who I keep in touch with and... my parents and I get along alright - they're all still in New Mexico."

Returning his attention to his food, he moved on entirely from the subject of Isabella, and took another bite of chicken. "They don't like it that I moved so far away but I think they finally realize I'm not going back. Last time I saw them was at a family reunion in Colorado two years ago."

His eyes found hers. "Even if I was running when I came here... I do like it here." He cocked his head, just studying her for a few moments. "So... this guy you just broke up with... he's only ever been the only one?"