April 13, 2017

Lie Really Still

Reading Destiny's first text, Zan's eyebrows rose, and a grin tugged at the corners of his mouth. He ignored her second text for now, and sent her a quick reply. 
If I *was* asking you on a date,
would you still say yes?


Jason's response came quickly to Katie.
No. No, not while you're still so weak. I don't want to risk it.
He didn't have much to give in the first place, but what he did have, he was already withholding just to make sure she didn't have to deal with anything just yet.

"I haven't felt this empty in months... so it should be a while before another overload." He didn't have time to say anything else, when Jeff came into the room. 

"Katie?" Jeff came over to the opposite side of the bed from where Jason was, and sat down on the edge. "Rick said you were awake and I was already on my way over." He brushed some hair from her cheek. "Are you feeling okay?" 

Jason didn't even move, but grinned just a little.
Maybe if I lie really still, he won't notice I'm here.


"Mmm." Hunter withdrew from Ryan's kiss and grinned. "Maybe we ought to stay here a while. This might put me in a good mood after all..." He returned for another long kiss, purposely letting it deepen as he tightened his hold around her and just let it linger for several drawn out moments.

Pulling back, he ended it abruptly, grabbing her hand to drag her to the door. "Come on, or you'll never get me out of here." Once they were outside, he took a deep breath of air, desperately trying not to be such a grump. Maybe walking around the zoo really would help...

...Several hours later, Hunter's legs were already tired from walking, and he stopped at another fenced-in area to look out at some giraffe, his hand in Ryan's. His mood had improved some - the distraction had helped, and Ryan had made him smile and laugh. He was quiet for a few moments, watching the giraffes, then turned to look at Ryan out of the corner of his eye, and wriggled her hand a little. "Thank you... for being with me the last few days. I... I'm pretty sure I would have failed if I'd been by myself." Even today hadn't been easy.