April 7, 2017

Agreed?

Kirk didn't respond right away, but continued to study Misty's behavior. Reese pursed his lips grimly at his niece's words. "Misty, I..." He sighed again. He was walking a very fine line with the FBI here - with Kirk standing right here - and he knew it. His eyes drifted up to Kirk. 

Kirk was still thinking. "You say he's distraught. I would be too if I killed those people and had spent half my life lying to people. What excuse is that to go easy on him?" 

Reese slowly stood from his desk. "What's the point in giving him even more mental anguish?" 

"What's the point in waiting to hand him over to the FBI?"

"What's the point in handing him over instead of questioning him ourselves? The result is the same."

"He can obviously take advantage of people's feelings around here."

"Is it taking advantage, or is it simply us being more merciful than the FBI?" 

Kirk took a deep breath. "Look, it's your call. I'm just giving you fair warning that the FBI isn't going to look on this favorably. They will see it as protecting one of the Elite's own, in spite of what he did."

"Even if it saves him from committing suicide?" 

Kirk wouldn't answer the question. "Just tread lightly. That's all I'll say." 

Reese looked back to Misty. "Go. I'm putting you in charge of Chance. It's up to you to decide how to help him - physically, mentally, or otherwise, whether by your own means or using Hope or Justin. It's up to you where Chance should be held, and it's up to you to tell me when he's ready to be interrogated. If he runs or hurts someone here, you're responsible." He locked eyes with her. "If you're going to stand up for him, then these are the terms. Agreed?" 


Jason withheld a smirk. 
Yeah well... I know you're not a little kid... and I'm what counts, right? 

Rick gave Katie a thin smile. "Yes. It will make us all feel happier if you eat. I'll be right back." 

As he left, Jason mustered up the strength to pull himself up to sit, so Katie could, too, and propped up the pillows behind them. He wouldn't eat, but he would at least try to do something other than lie here all day. 

It wasn't much later that Rick returned with some broth for Katie, then left them be again. They weren't alone for very long though, when a new face appeared in the doorway. "Knock knock." Jade peeked in and smiled. "Can I come in?"

Jason had almost dozed off again, and forced his eyes back open sleepily. "Hey." He grinned. "Yeah... join the party, but be careful... we're pretty lively." 

Jade giggled and came in slowly. Her arms were full of several different items. "I heard you guys weren't feeling so hot, so... I thought maybe I'd just come see ya." She deposited the items on the bed. "There's... a puzzle book... I thought maybe you could do it together." She eyed them sheepishly. "If you do it together, you kinda gotta cuddle close, so I thought you might enjoy that."

Jason grinned and nudged Katie with his elbow. "Sounds good to me."

Jade blushed, but kept going. "Um, and there's a couple different card games... and some snack crackers if you feel like it. Oh, and a little photo album... so take a bunch of selfies, then later when you print them, you can put them in here to..."

"Remember our vacation?" Jason asked.

Jade smirked. "Well I'm just trying to be positive." 

Jason's grin returned. "You're doing a good job. Thank you." 

"You're welcome." Jade bit her lip and looked at them both. "Are you... really going to be okay? Everyone's worried but... nobody knows anything."