July 13, 2017

Where to Go

Dani laughed and grabbed the bag and her purse. "I guess I could help just a little bit." 

Heading to the door, she held it open for Dalton before shutting and locking it, then following him to his car. It was a beautiful day, perfect for spending the afternoon outside. The drive was nice, and complete with chatting and laughing. 

Eventually they reached the lake and found a grassy spot off to the end of the little beach where there was a nice shade tree. After spreading out the blanket and getting all the food out to make the sandwiches, the only thing left was to enjoy it. 

"Mmm... this is nice." Sitting back against the tree, Dani leaned next to Dalton and put her head on his shoulder as she chewed her sandwich. "I love my job, but after filling in so much these last couple weeks, not only am I running out of cute things to say, my listeners are probably getting tired of me too." She giggled. "So then I come out here and talk your ear off." She patted his leg lovingly. "You talk for once. How are things going at the Elite? Still tense?" 


Eli sighed and sat up to lean back in the chair. "I know... I don't like the idea of hurting or scaring him. It's just from what I've observed, I'm afraid if he's simply told calmly that the Agency is no good, he won't believe it - he'll just go back to them to confirm and they'll string him a whole new set of lies, and he'll be in even deeper. If he's given a shock... that should be enough to knock some sense into him." 

Finally standing again, he glanced at his watch. "I'm gonna go talk things over with Garret, and... if it's okay with you, we'll be back with our plan in a few hours. I wish we had more time, but I'm afraid if we wait, he'll be given another task, and I don't want to see him hurt or arrested." He paused and nodded. "I really appreciate your help with this. I know it's hard." 


As Kirk's mind continued to work overtime, he finally rose from his spot and wandered back to the beach, then up to the parking lot. His eyes swept the area as was his habit, and he realized the nearby car was Dalton's. He hadn't seen him though. Interesting. The lake seemed to serve many purposes for many people. Sighing, he got in his car and headed back to North Springs. He didn't go to the Elite though. Instead, he went home. And an hour later, his living room floor had been converted into his desk. He sat cross-legged at his laptop, printed papers strewn about, a pencil in his mouth as he jotted notes, and the rock music was back on again. He'd made up his mind. Now it was just trying to figure out the best way to go about it.


Jason laughed and nodded. "Yeah, I'm the bigger offender when it comes to accidentally mixing up my silent conversations with talking out loud." Cocking his head, he looked at Katie, still smiling. "You've always had my back... even since the beginning."

Sarah gave Jed a little smile. It was so obvious that the couple loved each other. How sad it was that they were running now, forced to hide because of the one thing that made them unique. 

Conversation shifted again until the meal was over, and eventually, Jason was cuddled up with Katie on the couch downstairs, watching some television until they went to bed. With his arm around her, he kissed the top of her head. 

It's been almost a week... I was hoping to have heard by now that things were okay but... I guess we're gonna have to start thinking about where to go next. And I don't have a clue.