July 21, 2017

Day Off

Jeff smiled and nodded. "I would like nothing more than to spend the day with you." When she'd been here before, he knew he had been close to smothering her. He'd been worried then about her and Jason's condition and hadn't liked not seeing much of her. But today... he was grateful for anything, even if it was just five minutes. His baby girl wasn't a baby... and he had to realize that. There was nothing he could do about her condition or the career she'd chosen. But the fact she was here right now... made all the difference in the world. 

"Just let me get my boots on and we'll take that walk. And if we meet Angel on the way, I'm gonna tell her it was totally your idea."


Kaylee squealed and giggled as Jason bounced her on his lap. Jason laughed and ruffled her unruly hair that had yet to be combed. Actually, she shouldn't even be up yet, but when she'd woken and heard her big brother's voice, there was nothing that could keep her in bed. 

Cindy rolled her eyes at her daughter's antics and went to the kitchen to check on breakfast. She couldn't begin to describe how she felt having Jason back safe and sound. She'd been so worried, even if she hadn't talked to the others about it. She had known there was a chance she wouldn't even see him again, and that thought alone broke her heart. But he was here now... and she would cherish every moment.

Back in the living room, Kaylee slid off Jason's lap to go grab the teddy bear she'd abandoned in the hallway, leaving Jason and Wes alone for just a few minutes. Jason looked to him and gave him a grateful nod. "Thanks for taking care of my mom... I know this has been tough on her even if she hasn't said so and... I'm glad... she's got you, if... anything bad ever did happen." 


Jett looked up at Destiny and just stared at her for a moment. Was she really serious? He glanced to Zan as if for confirmation.

Zan stood from his chair and held up his hands. "Don't look at me. She's got a mind of her own. I wouldn't try arguing though. That never seems to work."

Jett turned his eyes back to her and blinked. "Um... okay... I'll have a while before I gotta be in to work. Or... I might call in." He thought for a moment then glanced at Zan again. Had Destiny told him everything? Did he know Jett risked being arrested if he didn't show up at the Elite to hand over everything he knew about the Agency? He opted not to talk about it now. Maybe she'd go with him there tomorrow before they looked at apartments. 

Zan nodded. "It wouldn't be bad for you to have another day off if you can get away with it." 

"Yeah... yeah, I don't call in very often so when I do, they're usually pretty cool about it. Hunter should be there tomorrow and he can cover for me - he hardly needed any training at all and knows the car parts better than I do."

Zan grinned. Funny how he was working with Ryan now and Hunter was working with Jett. They'd all known each other for how long now? But only recently had clicked. Life was funny. He turned to Destiny. "Well, looks like you two have a day planned tomorrow... as for now, I'm going home and going to bed, and I'm assuming you still want me to take you home," he teased.


Hal sighed and moved away, giving Sam room. The moment had been broken, for sure. Oh well. He shifted to the oven to check on supper, half-listening to the one-sided phone call.


"Sam!" Kirk stood up and started to pace his living room. "Hope I didn't interrupt anything too bad! Listen...." He went on to explain their idea about Aaron and the new building. "So what do you think? Worth a try? Think he'd be willing to look at the building?"