July 24, 2017

Bike

Garret didn't answer right away as his eyes studied Nate's face. "It's personal," he finally replied. "There's something of mine I need to go pick up, but it'll take a couple days there and back." He paused, looking Nate square in the eye. "You have my word, I'm not going to cause any trouble or hurt anyone or do anything that would come back on the Elite." 

He stopped talking as someone walked by, then resumed. "I just need to take the Elite vehicle Reese has let me use. That's it. I'll work today, then take the next couple days, and you'll be the first to know when I'm back in town." He wondered if Nate would really let him go without telling him everything. No one else would. But Nate trusted him more than anyone else, too. 


"Reese!" 

He turned just before he got to his office, to see Kirk. "Yes?" 

"I need to talk to you." Kirk had his arms full of papers from last night that were starting to slip from his grasp. His partially glazed eyes perhaps gave away that he was running on caffeine and adrenaline this morning after getting hardly any sleep at all last night. 

Reese nodded. "I wanted to talk to you too. I was up half the night with Angelica, discussing how to save the Elite."

Kirk's eyes widened. "Me too." 

"You were up with Angelica?"

"What? No! Just half the night. I mean with Adison." Kirk shook his head and readjusted the files before he dropped all of them. "The answer is the building. We can -"

"Have sections no one else knows about," Reese interrupted. "So we can run without-"

"The FBI knowing about it." 

"Right." Reese's mind started working overtime again. "We'd have to be partially underground again but-"

"Everybody around here's been through it before," Kirk concluded. "The hard part will be the-"

"Training." Reese nodded. "I know. That's going to be tough."

Kirk stopped and blinked before gaining a crooked grin. "You know, maybe if we would have put our heads together in the first place, we both would have gotten more sleep last night."

Reese chuckled and nodded. "Probably. Come in my office. I wanna hear what your plans are and see if they're similar to mine."


Alec just focused on his hamburger again, falling quiet once more. Did he used to talk more? He thought so. But it was hard to remember.

He managed to finish most of his hamburger, and most of his fries, making him more full than he had felt in... a very long time. He didn't feel sick though, which was an added bonus. What he did feel was very tired, and he was glad when they finally left to go... home.

Arriving at the house, his walk was hesitant. This was where he'd been most comfortable before, and today... it felt... out of sync somehow. Like he was walking into the past, but it wasn't. It was now. But months had vanished. Getting inside, it smelled and felt the same, and his body started to automatically relax. The only thing different now were signs that Carson was living here again. Which made Alec glad. He knew his brother and Misty had to be so much happier now that they were back together. They had always just... completed each other.

After setting his sack down, Alec wandered to the back sliding doors and looked out at the little shed that he'd made into his own living space. And all of a sudden, his palms started to sweat again. He turned around to look at Misty, his eyes full of more emotions than even he himself could figure out. "Um... where..." Wouldn't it be too awkward for Misty and Carson if he bunked down in the living room? He didn't want to ask. Instead, he changed his sentence completely. "You said you still had my bike, huh?"


"Mmm..." Travis took a sip of coffee, always enjoying their morning routine. Neither ever forgot, and he didn't want to trade it. 

"Nope, no idea where to ride," he admitted.  "But..." He lowered his voice. "Anywhere with you is always fun." He covered up his grin with another sip of coffee. "I'll work on my tasks so I can get most of it out of the way beforehand so then we can take our time." He rolled his eyes. "Dad is giving me a new list every day - I don't know if he's trying to just keep me out of trouble or kill me, but I'm gonna be an expert at hauling manure in no time."


"Eh..." Jeff slid his arm around Katie's shoulders and gave her a squeeze. "You were caught in the middle of a lot of hard stuff. I know Jay doesn't blame you. He knows he was wrong about a lot of things too."

Falling quiet for a few minutes, he eventually took a deep breath and stood up again. "Okay... heart's pumping again. I can walk a few more feet." He tossed her a wink. "Let's make some tracks before someone realizes I'm out and about."