June 30, 2017

Assignment

Garret chuckled and nodded. "I'll let you come visit, and I'll definitely come back here too." 

As she had another coughing fit and Nate came to her, Garret's worry increased a little. He hadn't seen her sick before, and he didn't like it. He was sure she'd be fine, but still... Nate had told him even simple colds could be dangerous for her. After he'd left, Garret cocked his head at Maggie. "Maybe you should head to bed early tonight, huh? I'm pretty tired myself."

In the kitchen, Laura gave Nate an encouraging look, and rubbed his arm. "She'll be okay. If she's still coughing tomorrow when you come home, we can see if Rick will come over." She handed him the dishtowel as a means of distraction. "In the meantime... help me finish up here so we can go watch a movie before bed." 


Jamison swallowed hard, but shook his head. "I don't think telling Kirk about Hal would do anything but get one more person in trouble. We both know Hal won't talk, so it wouldn't do any good anyway as far as finding Katie and Jason. so really... there's no point in informing Kirk." If he could solve it with logic, maybe that would ease his conscience a little. 

He glanced at his watch and sighed. "I should probably get home. I got a few things I need to do before crashing. I'll see you at work tomorrow." He stood from the table, but paused. "Thanks... for coming here and telling me about all this. I was... pretty upset earlier but... I understand now and I'm okay. I just want to make sure I really am a part of the team." 


"...And so that's how you restock the shelves without getting yelled at about inventory." Jett rubbed his sore arm absentmindedly as he showed Hunter around the auto parts store.

Hunter nodded and set his hands on his hips, surveying the store. "I think I can handle it." He glanced down at Jett's arm. "How ya doing?"

"Oh, you know. I'm alive. Headache is finally gone at least." Jett shrugged. "Zan helped me get my pickup running last night, so at least I didn't destroy that completely either."

Hunter gave him a wry grin. "Well I don't know if anybody else said it, but a few of us were pretty worried about you."

"Eh..." Jett shook his head and aimed back for the front counter as a customer walked in. "The world can survive without one more me."

"Yeah, but why would we want to?" Hunter poked Jett's shoulder. "Don't be so hard on yourself."

Jett kept walking and rolled his eyes. "You talk with Zan or what?"

"No, why? He say the same thing?"

"Maybe." Jett went behind the counter and greeted the customer who was looking for a particular part.

Hunter grinned nodded to Jett. "I got this." He waved to the customer. "Come on. Let me show you what we've got."

Jett leaned on the counter and watched them go down one of the aisles before he took out his phone and opened his text messages. The man without a name had not been pleased he'd been a no-show the other day, but had given Jett one more chance since it was his accident that had prevented him from going anywhere. Last night they'd finally met, and Jett had recognized him as being an observer at the races lately, but still had not been given a name. Apparently that was normal procedure. Tonight he had his first assignment with a couple other guys, and if he did alright, he was in. He was excited and wanted to tell the others, but had been warned to keep it under wraps. This was important stuff that no one could know about.


"Hey, Speedy." Eli came up behind Ryan in the garage, grinning as he looked over her shoulder as she worked. He hadn't told her he was coming today. But he also knew she didn't have a lunch date since Hunter was working his new job today. "Brought my bike... wanna go out to lunch with big brother?" There was more than food on his mind today, and it had been the first real chance to talk to his sister alone... 

...Settling in on the park bench with their subs, Eli sat across from Ryan. They'd eaten a little before he finally brought up the whole purpose of lunch today. "So um... there's something I wanted to tell you." He set his sub down and took a deep breath. "I've been... working for the Elite. Undercover. For... quite a while now, actually." He paused, letting it sink in. "Mostly I've been eyes and ears. Nothing major. They tell me about whispers of things happening like drug deals or gangs... or Agency-related stuff. Then I just sniff around a bit and report back." 

He gave her a thin smile. "I've wanted to tell you since the beginning, but me keeping quiet was part of the deal. If anyone at all on the outside gets wind of my role, then it would completely destroy any future chances I have at gathering intel. Scarlet's the only one I was allowed to tell, and that was only after I hounded Reese because she was about ready to break up with me 'cause she knew I was keeping secrets." 

Pausing again, he took a deep breath. "Finally though, I've been given permission to tell whoever I want. But I have to be extremely careful, because if only one wrong person finds out, that's it. If my cover is compromised even once, the Elite will pull me permanently. Not to mention, bad timing could really put me in a dangerous position. You're the first, besides Scarlet, that I've told." He nodded. "So... there you have it. I'll probably tell Hunter and Tal, but that's it at least for now. I don't trust anyone else not to spill the beans, even by accident." Cocking his head, he studied his sister's face, hoping she wouldn't be too upset about not knowing until now.