June 4, 2017

A Zillion Times

Mick chuckled at Rosetta and took a deep breath, letting it out slowly. That was his cue to try and sleep so she could sleep. Rolling over onto his side, he pulled Rosetta close, tucking her under his arm and giving her cheek a kiss. “Goodnight, Love.”

The morning did come early, and though tired, coffee helped, and Mick went about chores as usual. It really was strange not having Dylan around. It wasn’t too difficult to fill in the holes in work, but it just felt odd not seeing Dylan walking the barn or slipping in for breakfast later than anyone else so he could avoid conversation…

... “Hey.” Travis slipped in a chair next to Ashlee at the breakfast table, bumping shoulders with her before smiling. He glanced at her hat, then back down to her eyes. He’d wanted to team up with her at feeding time this morning, but he’d been given a different task – probably since they were readjusting things since Dylan wasn’t here. “Thought I’d never get a chance to see ya,” he teased. “I was wondering if you wanted to go on a picnic for lunch later.”


Zan laughed and nodded. “We’re definitely playing another round so I can redeem myself. I am so not losing this one.” 

It had been a long time since he’d played with someone other than one of the guys, and he was thoroughly enjoying Destin’s company. She was a very quick learn, she was funny, conversation was intelligent, and she just… made him feel good.

Playing on, the drinks were soon gone, the popcorn bowl was empty, and the all out-and-out war had left Zan and Destiny just about even. After falling into a pit of lava, Zan tossed his controller in the air, letting it fall to the far corner of the couch. “I give up!” he wailed. “I’ve played this level a zillion times – it’s your fault.” He stuck his tongue out at her. “You distract me.” 

Stretching out tall, he yawned and looked at the clock. He really didn’t want this evening to end. He was still having fun. But it was late and she was at his apartment. He relaxed again and sighed. “I guess I oughtta get you home, huh?”


Hunter groaned as he rolled out of bed. He wanted to sleep at least another hour or two, but having someone moving around the apartment made it hard. It wasn’t Dylan’s fault, and Hunter knew he’d get used to it – but he might as well at least say hi this morning. Maybe he’d go back to bed in a while. 

After hitting the bathroom, he wandered to the kitchen. Lights were on, coffee was made and Dylan was at the table, fully showered and dressed, and finishing a bowl of cereal. Hunter smirked. “What time did you get up anyway?” 

Dylan gave him a crooked grin. “I dunno. I’ve been awake since about five.” 

“You. Are. Nuts.” Hunter poured himself some coffee and took a long swig. “Mm. You make pretty good coffee though.”

Dylan just shook his head. “You gotta remember I’m used to being done with a whole barn full of chores by now.” He glanced at his watch. Jason would be here any minute. Finishing his cereal quickly, he rinsed the bowl and downed the rest of his coffee. “Told Jason I’d be outside waiting. I gotta go.”

“Right, right.” Hunter leaned back against the counter sleepily. “You be alright til tonight?”

“Yeah. I don’t have a clue what I’ll be doing all day. What time’s that race tonight?”

“Not til late. Right around dark. Coming back here after work?”

“I’ll make sure I get back here somehow.” Dylan gave him a wave and headed for the door. “Later.”

“Yep.” Hunter waved drowsily. Well, at least Dylan knew how to take care of himself. It looked like having him here was going to be pretty easy.


Hal wandered into the security room just a few minutes later than normal, two coffees in hand. Seeing Sam already, he smiled and came up behind her. He reached over her shoulder to set her coffee in front of her, then leaned down to plant a kiss on her cheek. “Good morning. Hope you haven’t had your coffee yet. It was calling out to me as I drove by.”