June 23, 2017

Another Mistake

"Um, yeah... yeah, Sparky should be alright. I mean, any of the guys would, really. They all know what they're doing." Dylan glanced up as Wyatt came into the file room, and nodded at him.

"Listen, I gotta go. Don't worry too much about it, alright?" He was worried, but she didn't need that on her plate. "He'll settle down. Just remember to give him space when he needs it. I really think he'll work this out of his system though." He paused, still thinking. He knew if Seven got too hard to handle, his dad would take matters into his own hands, and he'd get rid of the horse. They didn't keep any dangerous animals at the ranch. Period.

Dylan took a deep breath and forced a positive tone. "Thanks... for looking out for him. And for keeping me in the loop. Let me know what happens, alright?"


A bit of color came to Eric's cheeks at Angel's question. "I was... maybe?" He bit his lip. "I just... I wanna know it's the right move and... it's a lot to ask of a person, ya know? 'Hey, wanna stick around with me, out in the middle of nowhere? Oh, and by the way, you could play mom to my two infant daughters while you're at it'.'" He stopped and sighed. He rarely talked to anybody about things this personal, but it was getting to the point where he really did need to make up his mind as to where things were going between him and Stacy.

"I mean she seems to enjoy helping take care of the girls, and I don't know what I'd do without her. I..." He dropped his gaze and rubbed his sore arm absentmindedly. "I love her, I just... I've messed up so bad so many times when I thought I was headed down the right path." Like with the Agency. Like with Dana. He looked back up at Angel. "I guess I'm just scared I'm gonna make another mistake."


Zan sighed as he put some dishes in the sink. "I hope so. He's been getting pushed around by Ronnie ever since they found a place together. It's just like every other scenario - Jett lets himself get bullied at the drop of a hat." He turned on the water to let some of the bowls soak. "I really think he can afford something else though. I know he doesn't have the greatest job, but it's gotta pay enough to live on. He just needs to cut out some of his partying and find something affordable. Even if it's crappy for a while 'til something else shows up, it would be better than dealing with Ronnie."

Pausing a moment, he gave Destiny a sidelong glance. "If I could be convinced it was temporary, I'd tell him to just pack up and come here. I just don't wanna get... stuck." He grimaced. "Is that bad?"


Adison was right. Kirk nodded his agreement before looking back at Reese. "Yeah. We need to process this. Just..." He took a deep breath. "This is too big to react too quickly."

Reese nodded too. "Agreed." 

Kirk finally got back to his feet, and for a moment, there was an awkward silence.

"I trust you'll keep silent until you do decide what to do." 

Kirk pursed his lips but finally relented. "Okay." After leaving Reese's office, Kirk aimed back for the cubicle where he flopped down in his chair and waited for Adison to join him. He swiveled around silently for a few minutes before he stopped. "I can't stay here the rest of the day." There was too much on his mind, and he couldn't talk openly here. "I know I've been a bear but I really need to talk over things with you... would you come over to my place? Like... now?"


Okay... let's get going while Reese still has Kirk in his office. We'll swing by my place first, then yours, then head out to where Hal told us to go. 

Jason looked down into Katie's eyes, and put a hand to her cheek gently. Leaning down, he gave her a tender kiss, then retreated, taking her hand once more. This was their worst nightmare, but at least they were walking through it together. 

It only took a few moments to gather what they needed from their desks, then head out. Catching a few eyes, acting casual wasn't easy, but it was necessary, and no one seemed to think it was odd since they always worked together again now. Getting to Jason's house was quick as well, and Jason had a duffel bag ready with clothes and a few other necessary items. The hardest part though, was Trooper. They couldn't take him with them... it would be even harder to hide with a giant dog at their side. 

Kneeling next to the dog in the backyard, Jason scratched him behind the ears. "I'll get a message to Wyatt and he'll take care of you like he has before, okay?" Sighing, he stood and turned to leave. His emotions revealed how he really felt though. The dog was one of his best friends, and it killed him to walk away like this. But he had to. The next stop was Katie's so she could gather her things and leave her note, then it was a quick stop for gas, then on to the meeting point...

...Arriving at the fork in the quiet back road, Jason pulled the pickup up under the old pine tree and parked. Was that... Sam? He looked quickly to Katie. Hal had trusted... Sam? But how did...? Hal hadn't had time to explain everything. His confusion muddled his thoughts, but they really didn't have time to sit and think about this. 

Finally getting out, he waited for Katie too, then approached Sam cautiously. There was no way someone would have just come here blindly. There was more to this - there had to be. "How long have you known?"