June 7, 2017

Mentally Prepare

Now that Jamison had some food in him, he was noticeably calmer - back to his usual self. Engaging in the conversation, he nodded at Dalton. He wasn't used to getting together with friends. Honestly he just never really had a regular social group. He hadn't been close to anyone in the FBI, so he was probably better friends with some of the Elite agents now than he had been with anyone else before. "That sounds like a good idea. I heard over the grapevine Wyatt wants to have a big barbecue at his place, but I think that's for everybody and I don't know when he's thinking of doing it." 

Scott glanced at Dalton, grateful for his noninvasive topic choice. He knew his big friends knew him well enough to see he wasn't completely comfortable, and he was appreciative of Dalton never drawing attention to it. "I... I might come for a little bit if you do that," he agreed. Spending an evening with Hope was one thing - spending it with several other guys was another. His social life had diminished to almost nothing with all he'd been through, so he knew it would be draining. But... he knew he should at least try. He knew Justin would encourage him to do it, too. "Just let me know when so I can..." He grinned. "...clear my busy schedule."


Jason leaned back in his chair in his office, looking across his desk at Katie in the extra chair. For their first day back, things were going smoothly. They both still felt good at least, and nothing major had happened since leaving the ranch. They were in touch with Rick still, but he was home, and they'd been kept busy today getting up to speed with several open cases. Still though, there was a strange tension in the air. 

They're wondering why we were really gone. I can feel it. 

He didn't even dare speak aloud. 

Reese told me a while ago he's putting off the meeting until we really think it's necessary. He doesn't want to make an issue if we think we can avoid it.

Swiveling a little, he eyed Katie warily. He knew they couldn't avoid it for too long. Even now, he could feel his eyes growing warm as his nerves heightened. If anyone walked in unannounced, they'd be in for a surprise. 

I've been getting strange looks from Kirk all day. I wish I could trust him, I just... don't. And as much as I agree with Reese that we don't need to make an issue unless it's necessary, I'm afraid it's not going to take long for us to slip up - either they're gonna figure out we're communicating telepathically, or they're gonna see our eyes when we're caught off guard. 

He had to admit... communicating this way felt easier than it had in the past. It was like the ability had been increased and smoothed out. The only bad side was it was so easy that Jason was still having a hard time between speaking and thinking, and that could get them in trouble, too.


Let's say seven. Then we have
time to eat and get to the site 
by 8:30. At least I think that's
when Eli wants us to meet.

Zan sent the message quickly as a new customer walked in. Of course, things had to pick up just when he was having a conversation with Destiny. After waiting for them to pay for their fuel and bottle of pop, he sent one more message. 

Getting busy. TTYL

His shift last another couple hours, leaving him at mid-afternoon. So changing out of his gas station polo and into his own t-shirt, he left the store in Tim's hands and headed across town... 

...Zan rapped his knuckles on the outside of the car Ryan was working on, and smiled as he got her attention. "Hey. Darrel said it was okay if I came and said hi." Glancing over a a short ways away, he also waved to Axel. "Looks like I'm gonna be filling Axel's spot, starting in a couple weeks after I give my notice to the gas station." He grinned. "Just... thought I'd let you know so you have time to mentally prepare to put up with me around here." He could have just waited and mentioned it tonight, but he considered Ryan a friend and didn't want to have been there without at least saying hi. 


"Feel any better?" Hal cocked his head as he looked across the table at Sam. They'd simply gone to a fast food burger place for a quick lunch, and he hadn't brought work up until now. They'd talked about a bunch of other things - including plans to go on another fishing outing since the last time had been spoiled - but only now did he mention work. 

He slid his hand over to take hers, letting his thumb run gently over her knuckles. "If you're ready to go back, I wanna tell you all the stuff I learned about the big move and what we can expect."