June 20, 2017

Impossible Merge

Garret gave a light chuckle and nodded. "I bet she was amazing too." He was glad Thirteen could hold that image in her mind no matter what kind of woman her mother actually was. He wished he had that same luxury. "It must be nice to know the rest of your family at least." He immediately thought of John and Marie. Every time he saw Jamison - every day at the Elite - he thought of the family he'd never know. 

"Thirteen?" Carson stuck his head around the corner. "Would you mind getting table eight? They just walked in." He did need her help...but he also wasn't comfortable with as much attention as Garret was giving her. 

Garret gave Thirteen another thin smile. "Thanks for the shake." He reached in his back pocket to pull out some cash to pay for it, and included an additional five dollar bill. "And the extra is for you." 


"Yeah. I guess a meltdown would kinda put a damper on things, huh?" Wyatt managed a smile and slid his hand over to take Aerith's again. "Even though I feel like quitting, I know it's not the right choice. Not yet anyway."

He took a deep breath and let it out slowly, having no idea that it was just what his father would do. "Now... I want pizza... and I want time with my girlfriend. So quit letting me talk about work and let's talk about something more pleasant. Like... whether or not your plans for tonight involve my living room couch."


"Me too." Kirk shifted his food around Adison's under the table, nudging up to her ankle. "I feel like I'm doing something wrong. Like I had a handle on everything and it just keeps unraveling, getting worse every day." 

He sighed and rubbed his hands over his face wearily. "If there isn't some positive progress, pretty soon they're gonna see this whole thing as a failure, and you and I and Sam are back to the FBI, Jamison is out completely, and the whole Elite is done." He groaned, then leaned forward to plunk his forehead down on his arms. "Why on earth did I accept this task in the first place? Tell me why. Am I just that dense? Gullible? Too stupid to have seen this was an impossible merge?"


As Destiny ran from the room, both guys cracked up and Zan grabbed the remote to pause the movie. 

"He didn't pause it!" Jett yelled. "He's just letting it play!"

"I am not!"

"He is too!"

"Don't listen to him!" Zan threw a chip at Jett, hitting him in the face.

"Oh, ow, ow!" Jett reeled back in the couch. "Destiny! He's trying to kill me!" 

"Because he's a liar!" Zan looked up when Destiny returned, his eyes twinkling. As she sat back down with him, he settled in next to her again to finish the movie. Watching her laugh made him laugh, and by the time the credits were rolling, he had her under his arm, and one leg was wrapped over hers. 

"Never gets old," Jett mused.

Zan chuckled. "Nope." He glanced at the table. "Oh look. We hardly ate any snacks either. And... we have the rest of the afternoon. Destiny gets to pick the next movie though."