June 28, 2017

Just a Little Hurt

Eric laughed and shook his head. "Probably not. You know I ain't very good at keeping secrets." He gave her hand a squeeze as they walked, perfectly content to continue their evening together, and not in the least bit tired anymore. He really didn't know now what the future looked like. Even though they'd added a new room onto his bunkhouse for the twins, it wasn't big enough to house five people. He couldn't afford to buy a house somewhere else, nor could the ranch really afford to help him build here. Even so... he knew somehow, they'd work something out, and he knew Stacy would be with him all the way.

One more walk around the ranch, and Eric knew it was finally time to turn in, even if he felt like he could stay up all night. They hadn't talked an awful lot, but had stopped just once or twice to simply be affectionate. Now stopping in front of Stacy and Ashlee's bunk, he sighed. Turning to face her, he took both her hands. "I, um... was gonna see if you wanted to come over and curl up on the couch with me since we only have a few hours left anyway but..." He bit his lip, grinning sheepishly. "I suppose if Ashlee woke up alone, she might get the wrong impression." He leaned in to give her a last kiss on the lips, interrupted by the sound of crying. It was the long distance monitor in his back pocket that Travis had helped him set up so he could hear the babies even if he was out here working. "And... there goes the moment." 

He chuckled and finally released Stacy. "A foretelling of the future?" He brushed her cheek with his hand. "See you later for coffee."


Jamison thought for a moment, his shoulders sinking slightly. "So that's it, huh? That's... all I get." He looked at Dalton, and to Dylan again, who also remained silent. "Okay then." He got up from his chair as he shut off his computer. "It's after five. I'm gonna go. I'll see you guys tomorrow." Saying no more, he simply left, closing the door behind him once again. 

Dylan eyes retraced their route to Dalton. "Well... if you hear anything... could you text me or something? I know I won't be allowed to help or do anything, I just want to know if Jason and Katie are okay or not." 


It was a couple hours later, and Kirk was trying to relax with Adison at the club. It was just as noisy as always, but it provided enough of a distraction to get his mind off work for a while... which was a good thing. Watching Adison take her shot, he grinned and rolled his eyes. "I'm gonna use the excuse that my mind is elsewhere tonight." She was creaming him. He took a sip of his soda and wandered back to the pool table, chalking the end of his cue before he bent to take aim. 

"Kirk, I need answers." 

Kirk flinched as he shot, sending the eight ball right into the far pocket. He blinked and straightened up slowly, his face unamused as he looked at Jamison. "You also owe Adison five bucks since you just lost the game for me." 

Jamison ignored the complaint and came closer, fiddling with his car keys. "I want to know about Jason and Katie." 

Kirk leaned on the cue stick. "How'd you know I was here anyway?"

"Um. I worked for the FBI, remember? I think I know how to track somebody." 

Kirk sighed. "Great. Then go out and find Jason and Katie."

"Not until you tell me exactly what's going on." Truth be told, Jamison was just a little hurt. He thought Dalton was his friend, but even the giant hadn't been willing to tell him what he knew, and it didn't feel good to be purposely left in the dark while all the other Elite agents knew what was going on, including the intern.

"Can we... discuss this in the morning?" Kirk wandered over to take another sip of his pop. "I was just trying to relax and I really don't want to think about work right now." 

"Are you serious?" Jamison threw up his hands. "Why am I even a part of the team anyway? I'm not even FBI anymore and all of a sudden I'm back to being treated like an outsider. And now you won't even let me in on it, and don't tell me it's classified because I know that's not true." He paused, eyeing both Kirk and Adison. "I got walked on at the FBI... I won't get walked on around here too." Spinning on his heel, he stalked towards the exit.

Kirk let out a low whistle. "Been a while since I've seen him that hot. He's bluffing though... right?"