March 12, 2017

Seafood

Clint downed the pills easily as Angel wrapped his wrist. Take it easy? As if. He drank the rest of the water and set the cup aside, only now realizing how filthy he was. 

"Wes should already know I can't do it alone," he muttered. "He's the one that dumped it all in my lap after all." Looking at his wrist, he tried to form a fist and winced. There was no way he could hold a wrench, let alone work on any engine for probably several days. "Besides, Sparky's too busy like everyone else, and Wes is too intent on helping the Army gain more soldiers they can recruit and abandon." 

Sliding off the table, he stood and automatically cradled his wrist close to his side. "Thanks... for fixing me up." He sighed. "Guess I'll go tell Trent his truck will be out of commission for a while longer." He walked - or trudged, rather - to the door, wiping some grime off his face with his shirt sleeve. He was pretty sure the grease wouldn't​ ever come out of his skin entirely. 

He turned before leaving. "Don't say anything to anyone about what I said, okay? I just... need to work it out for myself."


"Mmm..." Kirk quirked an eyebrow. "What kind of price do you have?" He leaned back in to steal another kiss. "Will that do?" Another kiss. "How about now?" He ended with one last, longer kiss before his smile broke the moment and he stifled a laugh. "I really wish this day was over," he admitted. "I think we should do pizza tonight at my place. It's been so long." Actually, it had only been two days, but still. 


Hunter nodded. "Good. Hang tight." Back on the road again, it was another stretch of long, empty road, perfect for speed and peace. 

Eventually they had reached the far Northwest corner of the lake, much further than the usual spots where people from North Springs went. Soon, Hunter pulled the bike into a little roadside parking lot where there was a small restaurant tucked into a handful of trees. The rather tattered sign read, "Whales & Scales" and there were only two cars in the lot. It was a virtual hole in the wall if ever there was one. 

Hunter cut the engine and took off his helmet before dismounting and grinning at Ryan. "Not much to look at... but they've got the best seafood anywhere, save the coast." He held out his hand to her. "And I've never seen anyone I know here so... it's kind of a nice place to rest without worry of eyes."

Leading her inside, it was brighter than  expected o  the inside, and Hunter picked a spot near a window where one could just barely see the lake in the distance through the trees. He sat down across from her and chuckled. "I... hope you like seafood. If not, they do have chicken strips. But I'm partial to the shrimp."