March 29, 2017

Chocolate Cherry

"I dunno..." Chance fell quiet again for a few moments. "Something with cowboys." It had just looked somewhat interesting... and had been an easy distraction from the conversation he was avoiding. Shifting around on the couch, he wedged himself between Destiny and the back of the couch, keeping her in front of him to wrap his arms around... and also keeping his face out of her line of sight. 

"If I didn't have to work tomorrow, I'd just stay here and watch movies with you all night." He placed a soft kiss on her neck. "Don't let me fall asleep or I really will forget to leave." 


Garret's emotions churned inside of him as Nate spoke. His heart that had been almost completely stone, and softened to the point that it could hurt...and be touched. He thought of John, and realized in this moment... Nate was more his brother. 

He finally nodded again but looked away before his emotions got the best of him. "Thank you," he responded quietly. "I know... I can't stay here forever but... I really am grateful for all you've done for me. I know I didn't make it easy." All the times he'd argued - and still did. All the times he'd started to just walk away. The stress of just having him here while things between him and the Elite were in turmoil. Yet Nate and Laura had both stuck it out with him and had given him more support and kindness than anyone ever had his entire life. Nate was right... this was his family. 

"Hey, pssst..." Laura stuck her head in from the kitchen as she whispered. "Brian's asleep and Maggie's in bed... but there's a half carton of chocolate cherry ice cream up here." She grinned at the two men. "Wanna have some before bed?"


Rick swatted Katie's hand away, gaining a sheepish grin. "You've seen me laugh," he retorted. "Every time Hotshot's done something stupid." 

Jade snickered, Sparky laughed, and Jason whacked the back of Rick's head. "Hey, watch it."

Rick finished shuffling the cards and started to deal the out. "Or what?" 

"Or..." Jason smirked. "I'll quit doing stupid things and you'll be out of business." 

Rick laughed and shook his head. "That'll be the day." He turned to look up at both of them, glad to see they were up, walking and smiling. It was apparent that the worst of that episode was over, and hopefully they had a little time to relax before another wave came. It was his theory that with each wave came another shift towards whatever end result this thing would bring, but he hadn't said it out loud yet. "You two gonna stay?" 

Jason glanced at Katie, but shook his head.
I'm so tired... And besides, it looks like he's having fun and I don't wanna interrupt that. He deserves to not be worrying about us.
"I think we're gonna go call it a night."
On the couch? With a movie?

"Alright, suit yourselves." Rick shrugged. 

Dylan smirked at them. "Party poopers." 

Jason quirked an eyebrow. Since when did Dylan interact, let alone tease and smile? "Oh don't worry. One of these nights we'll stay up and beat all your socks off."

Sparky looked up at Katie. "Don't tell your dad that. He's been the reigning champion the last two weeks."