March 28, 2017

Forgetting

Chance paused between tv stations before settling on a more interesting movie than what had been playing, and setting the remote aside. "Work is... work." He shrugged and slouched back into the couch, his eyes remaining glued to the television even though he wasn't really watching. His mind was going a thousand different directions. He finally gave her a sidelong glance though, along with a sorry grin. "Things have been crazy at the office. With the FBI around, everything is tense. Then to top it off, I'm on a classified case that... I'm not supposed to talk about."

He flopped back over onto Destiny, burying his face into her neck. "So don't ask, and I won't have to tell you I can't talk about it," he mumbled. Instead of being playful though, he just remained where he was, hiding his face. It used to be easy to lie... and it still was... he just didn't like it nearly as much anymore.


Garret didn't turn as Nate spoke, but tried to digest his words. He understood, and didn't at the same time. It would seem something so simple, and yet he couldn't wrap his head around it. 

After several moments of silence, he finally shook his head. "They're happier without me." He swallowed hard. "I... saw them... my parents... in a picture with my siblings. And... they all looked so happy." He eventually shifted his eyes to see Nate. "They didn't want me." His voice had become quieter. "But they wanted their two other children. So... why would I want to walk into that? I feel like... I have been robbed of something that is supposed to make me whole... and it just sits there and taunts me, because I know I can't ever have it." 

Perhaps it was more obvious than he realized that he was so deeply hurt as his eyes reflected the pain. "I appreciate your offer but... I think I'd rather have help moving on with my life and forgetting about my family."


That sounds like a good idea to me. As long as I get you to myself on the walk back.
Jason grinned as he chewed his mouthful, glancing over at Katie again.

"Hey," Jeff earned teasingly. "Safe your flirting until after dinner."

Jason almost choked as he laughed, his face reddening. Only those who knew about all this could tell when he and Katie were carrying on a silent conversation.

Once dinner was finished, everyone sat and chatted for a while before Jeff decided it was time to head out. As planned, Jason went with Katie to walk her dad back to his bunkhouse. By now, most others were headed their own ways, but as usual, the lights were still on in the main house.

Opening the door, Jason let Katie inside first before stepping in after her. And the sight before them made him stop short. Those who had remained, sat at one table, having just finished a round of UNO. There was Sparky, Luke, Jade and Nate, Dylan and... Rick? Someone had just said something funny, and they were all in stitches, including Rick. It was his turn to shuffle apparently, and he was doing so quite well. Wait, he'd been the one to crack a joke?

Jason leaned over closer to Katie to whisper. "Is that Rick? I don't think I recognize him."