March 23, 2017

A Walk

"Good." Hunter grinned again and aimed back to the car door. "Then let's go before we both waste away." 

With him telling her which way to go, it didn't take long to reach the little place on a back street, The Griller, wedged between a pawn shop and a music store. Several neon signs advertised beer that attracted most people to their bar, but a chalkboard also advertised the day's special for their grill. Hunter led the way inside, keeping Ryan's hand in his as they walked past the bar and to a table in the back where just a few others were enjoying lunch as well. It really wasn't a bad atmosphere, and the smell of food was the strongest scent, making Hunter's stomach growl. 

He sat down catty-corner to Ryan so they could share a menu, and he pointed out a few of the options. "Their burgers are to die for. The soup is good too. Chicken fingers are super good." 

"Hunter!"

He looked up quickly at the bartender's greeting, and smiled, giving a little wave. "That's... Leroy," he explained. "I, um... used to be a pretty good customer..." He tapped her foot with his under the table. "Until I had better things to do."


Aaron finished off his own omelet, and simply stayed seated for a few minutes. "See that's what I just don't understand. The whole caring part. It's stupid." He stood up and limped to the sink to clean up the mess they'd made. "Caring about somebody you can trust is one thing. Caring about someone like me is another." Without warning, he grabbed the knife from the sink drainer, spun around and sent it flying where it landed blade-first in the far wall, dead center in a poster. "That..." He pointed at it. "That is why no one wants to give me the time of day. They're scared of me, and they think they're next. And that's why no matter how much you trust me, when Reese or someone else decides I should be controlled behind bars, that's what's gonna happen."

He frowned. "And truth be told, there's part of me that would still like to put that knife in some chests around here." His eyes shot over to Sam again. "But not yours." He was almost angered by it. "And I don't even know why, other than you're just... " He sighed, frustrated and suspecting he was making very little sense. "You." 

Turning, he drained the water in the sink then dried his hands. Reaching over, he put an arm around Sam's shoulders to lean on her. "I wanna take a walk... without crutches."


"Yeah..." Jason knew things had to be hard around here. It felt like Paradise, but this was every day life for the people here. Bad things, bad moods and bad days happened here too. He gave Katie's hand another squeeze. "I'm sure Wendy would appreciate some time with you. You were always pretty close." 

It didn't take long to get to the house where Cindy was sitting on the couch with Wes after Kaylee had been put to bed. She was just reading a book, tucked under his arm, and smiled as Jason and Katie came inside. "Hey, guys," she greeted quietly. "Anything I can do before you head to bed?" 

Jason shook his head. "I think we're good. Just tired." He smiled at her and Wes. "Goodnight." Finding himself alone with Katie in the hallway a couple seconds later, he pulled her into a tight hug before giving her a kiss. "I'll see you in the morning," he whispered.

Back in the living room, Cindy let her book fall shut, and she nuzzled her head into Wes' chest. "I'm worried about them." She kept her voice low, but the worry could still be heard. "I see this look in Jason's eye and... and I can see he's not well... I... I don't know what I'd do without him."