March 26, 2017

Perfect Man

"Mmhmm... okay." Even though Jason had been the one to suggest the walk, his body felt like a lead weight. Yawning, he finally sat up and nudged Katie teasingly before standing and shuffling over to where his shoes were. "I gotta do something other than just lie around today," he mumbled. "Anything." 

After a few minutes of pulling himself together enough to leave the house, he finally made it outside with Katie. It was a warm day, so jackets weren't needed, which was nice. Aiming down the lane out back, Jason took Katie's hand in his, just taking it slow as they both needed. "Kind of a rotten start to our vacation," he mused. A little smile curled his lips. "Maybe we'll have a couple days break like we did after the last time." The last time hadn't been quite this bad though. The last time, it hadn't hit Katie quite this hard. So did they actually have a couple days in between this time? 

I know everyone around is scared... and I kind of am too... but... as strange as it is... there's a weird peace... like... I'm okay with not fighting it... just... letting whatever this is grow...

He squeezed her hand. "Even if it means dying. I'm... not afraid of that like I once was."


"I thought I smelled something good." Clint nodded, doing his best to smile. "Tuna melts sounds really good." He moved to the refrigerator to grab the mayonnaise in an attempt to help so Wendy didn't have to do it all herself. Instead of just sitting at the table, he stood at the counter with her and did his best to not be a nuisance, although cooking wasn't his strongest talent. 

Sitting down at the table a little bit later, he murmured his approval. "I like the bread a lot. You did a good job." He really did mean it. But...when did it become so hard to just have a normal conversation? Had things really been sliding downhill for so long, and he hadn't even noticed until now? 

His tired eyes rose to meet Wendy's as he chewed slowly. He wanted to talk to her again about work. He wanted her ideas about where he should look or what he should do. But he knew it would just upset her, so he remained quiet. 


Hal chuckled and nodded. "Okay, it's a deal." As they walked back to his car, he gained a new grin. "I always like it when you bring breakfast," he admitted. He knew he'd always thanked her whenever she'd come in to work with a little something but really... it always felt just... a little special maybe.

Once they'd gotten some coffee, they went back to the office, and back to the security room, settling down at the desk again. "Aright..." He moved the keyboard closer to Sam. "You drive. And... catch every blip you see and... I'll tell you if it's something we need to stop for. Sound good?" 


Reese exited his office and glanced around the main floor before heading to Nate's cubicle. Stopping in the little doorway, he pursed his lips grimly. "I'm assuming Garret went home..." 

He glanced around again before coming closer and sitting down in the extra chair. He kept his voice low. "I don't think Garret is guilty of anything but being a perfect target. As much as I hate to admit it, there's definitely a traitor in our midst. I had to make it look like their plan succeeded." He sighed. "When you go home, please tell Garret I'm sorry. When he comes in tomorrow, I'll call him into my office, and may even have Ron and Pete question him again. But not because I think he's guilty. Whoever is doing this needs to think we've got our suspect and are following that path." He shook his head. "Garret's too smart to do something like this anyway. At this point, he's going to make the perfect man to play the victim but still help us out."