March 7, 2017

Look Good

"Alrighty then." Eli wasn't about to let this weird silence linger any longer. "Ice cream it is." He was surprised...both by Tal and Ryan. But he wouldn't argue. This could either turn out really bad or be the best thing for them. Without waiting for anyone to change their minds, he aimed for his own car. "See y'all there, then." 

Tal didn't say any more, but simply unfolded his legs and slid off his car to get into the driver's seat. 

Hunter steered Ryan back to his car, keeping her close. He knew this was hard. He didn't understand all of it. He didn't understand Ryan's past relationship with Tal, let alone Alec and how all that had become such a messed up triangle. What he did know, though, was this was a good thing. And as long as Ryan was doing okay, he'd stick with her. He didn't ask her about it on the way to the little ice cream shop, but made sure conversation was kept light. He was thrilled she'd come at all tonight, and could tell that each and every decision to mingle or socialize or stick around was a step in the right direction. 

Meeting at the ice cream shop and after ordering their ice cream, the four found an outside table to sit at. Hunter shared a bench with Ryan, while Eli ended up across from Hunter, and Tal was opposite Ryan. It was awkwardly quiet for a little bit until Eli and Hunter struck up the topic of paint jobs and possibilities for a new look on Hunter's car. Tal half-listened while slowly sucking a spoonful of ice cream at a time with his eyes down. He still didn't know why he'd suggested this. All it did was make him feel even worse.

Eventually, his gaze rose to look over at Ryan. She did seem to be doing better. There was a spark in her eye again. She looked...good. Happy? He could tell that she and Hunter were holding hands underneath the table. They were obviously in a good, close relationship. He lowered his eyes as he took another slow spoonful of ice cream. "You look good," he mentioned quietly. "Things going okay?"


Hal took a deep breath of the fresh air and let it out slowly. "Mm... not really. Well... if I get bored on weekends, I usually end up out here. I'm not the most avid fisherman though, so sometimes I'll use a lure I know won't work just to relax and...be."

He thought for a few moments and finally shrugged. "I guess after my divorce and getting my head on straight, I needed something less destructive to do with my time, so that's really when I started fishing more. I usually throw back what I get, but sometimes I take it home to eat." He glanced over at Sam with question. "Do you like eating fish?"