March 3, 2017

Jealous

Travis chuckled and wriggled Ashlee's hand. "I know. But I wanna go for a walk." He downed the rest of his coffee and stood up before leaning down to give her a kiss. A short one since they weren't alone. He threw her a wink and smiled. "You go shower. I'll see you in the barn."

Heading back outside, he returned to the barn to continue chores. After Ashlee rejoined him, he worked with her for a while, then when confident they wouldn't be needed again until after lunch, he led the way to the back lane for their walk.

It wasn't until they were a ways away from the barn that Travis finally spoke. His hands kept busy, fiddling with a small stick as they walked. "I um... wanted to apologize. I... know whenever I get around Dylan things get tense." He sighed. "He's been kind of a jerk with me and... I don't know what to do, but I don't like you being stuck in the middle. It's not fair to you."

Stopping beside a fence line, he turned and leaned back against a post, facing Ashlee. "You said once that... there wasn't anything between you two. And I believe you. But... are you sure it's the same for Dylan? 'Cause... he acts like he's jealous."


Scott closed his eyes, enjoying the feeling of Hope running her fingers through his hair. He felt more relaxed now than he had in weeks. 

"Of course I would," he answered her, and opened his eyes to look up at her face. Then he realized what she was really saying. Finding her free hand, he brought it to his lips to kiss it before holding it to his chest. His eyes closed again. "I'm starting to forget," he admitted softly. "I can't remember everything about... how things were before... how I was before."


Hunter caught a few stares in the crowd and met them head on with his own warning stare that silently forced them to back off. Most didn't care though, and some raised a few eyebrows at seeing them hand-in-hand. 

"Hey guys." Eli suddenly came up behind them and leaned an arm on Ryan's shoulder. "Sorry I'm late. Did I miss anything?"