March 8, 2017

Hands Down

As Eli drove, he thought about Ryan's question for several long moments. He knew his silence would be answer enough, but he just wanted to be careful. He didn't want Ryan blaming herself for Tal's own choices. She'd had such a good night...he didn't want to throw a wet blanket on it. But at the same time, he knew the truth was always best. 

"No... he's not." He sighed as he slowed for a red light, and glanced at his sister. "He hasn't been for quite a while now. After everything happened, he just... withdrew. He quit talking to me about anything much other than work, he started hanging at the bar again, and I'm pretty sure he's been fighting depression, but we haven't talked about it." 

Moving forward again, his eyes went back to the road. "He and I had it rough for a little bit," he admitted. "Got that sorted out though at least, so he and I are okay. He's just... been going through a rough time. I was actually really surprised he suggested doing anything tonight, but I think it was good for him. Maybe... now that he can see you're happy with Hunter, he can finally let go and move on." 

He pursed his lips, feeling badly. "I didn't tell you before because... well, I just didn't want you to have to be thinking about one more thing." He gave her another glance. "He...made some bad choices and... I think he regrets them and he's let himself become bitter. But... I think he'll pull himself out of it. Especially after seeing him tonight. I haven't seen him smile in a while." 


"Ooh, that's different." Hal was always ready to try something new when it came to food. Settling back and taking a bite of the quesadilla, he nodded. "Mm... this is really good. Don't think I woulda ever thought of that combination, but definitely good." 

He gave Sam a smile. "Thanks for bringing the food, by the way." He tried a chip and his eyebrows rose. "Okay... new favorite. You're definitely in charge of the picnic lunches from now on." He munched another one and nodded again. "You beat Lays, hands down."


"Yeah... as well as I can." Jason nodded and eased down to sit on the bed. A new chill made him shiver. "Rick had me start checking my blood sugar every day a while back. It's been running low. I had some orange juice this morning though, and some fruit along with lunch, but I still feel kinda light headed." 

He sighed and took the tylenol, downing the pills. "Okay." The fact alone that he didn't argue about staying here for a while was a dead giveaway that he wasn't feeling well, but he didn't even notice. Lying down on his side, he curled up with his head on the pillow. "Just an hour," he stated. "Then I have more work I gotta get done..." 

It was an hour and a half later that he opened his eyes though. His head was pounding and he felt hot with worse chills. He looked dully over to Misty's desk and sighed. Maybe he'd caught the flu. That's probably all it was... right? A strange form of anxiety simmered deep down. Like a ball of emotions was just sitting there, churning. And that thought alone made him nervous. It couldn't be what he thought. It just couldn't be. He refused to believe it. It was the flu. That was all. 

"I... think I should go home," he mumbled. "Sleep off whatever this is."