November 7, 2016

Really

Gunner leaned into Bree a little, and took a deep breath, composing himself. He needed to pull himself together. This was ridiculous. 

He shook his head at her suggestion of seeing Hope. "I don't...I don't want to go back there. I'm not part of the Elite anymore so...no. I'd rather not. I'll...I'll be fine." 

Forcing himself to get beyond the fog, he slipped an arm around her and turned to kiss her head. "I'm sorry I worried you. I guess I was just upset about Reese letting me go. They said I was...too much of a risk. I think Kirk even used the word unstable." He gave a short laugh. "Maybe he was right." 

He wiped away any traces of tears and took a deep breath. "I think I should just go home...think about what options I've got." He gave her a squeeze. "Quit worrying. I'm fine. Really." 

His nervous leg bounced, in spite of his words.


Garret finally straightened up and turned to look at Maggie again, rubbing the laughter tears from his eyes. "You...look like you'd get great radio reception."

Laura stifled another laugh as she folded Maggie's sweater. "We can certainly make sure this thing gets a good home. Now, here." She handed it back to her. "Go put it up in the basket by our bedroom door, then brush your hair and come down and eat so Nate won't get you to school late." 

Shaking her head, she returned to the stove to finish everything up and bring it to the table, also pouring Nate another cup of coffee. Her eyes still danced with humor as she bent and gave him a quick kiss on the lips. "You have a very funny sister," she mused.

Straightening and seeing Garret still there, still calming down, her grin returned. He actually looked human right here in this light. She stole a couple pieces of bacon from the plate, put them on a napkin and held them out to him. "Extras. Here. Eat so they don't go to waste."

Without much choice, he took them from her and gave her a look of silent thanks. She was pushing him...but not too much. She knew he'd refused breakfast even though he was hungry and...she was getting him to eat while still allowing him to keep his dignity. Was that just something that came naturally to a family? He found himself easing down in a chair and nibbling on the bacon. And before he knew it, he also had a cup of coffee in front of him.

"So...Reese go for the idea with Jason?" he asked Nate between sips of coffee.