November 17, 2016

Questions

Pete couldn’t help but feel his heart stir just a little at Ron’s story. He hated tragedies like that. No family deserved that kind of thing. The topic went back to Gunner before he could respond though, so he just listened. Maybe Ron was right. Maybe Gunner really hadn’t gone as far as they’d thought. They hadn’t checked that one little town because it had seemed insignificant, but if Gunner had been intending to go further eventually, it did seem like one logical route. Not to mention, if he was thinking straight at all, some place like that would be less likely to be checked, which would mean it would be a safer hiding spot. 

“Thank you.” He offered Ron another handshake. “I appreciate the help. And…I’m sorry about your family, too. Maybe I’ll see you around.” As Ron left to go join the others, Pete turned back to the map. It might be a stranger’s hunch, but everything was worth checking into. 


Seeing Ron approaching, Kirk waved him over. “Hey. I was just about ready to go introduce you all to Reese…” The introductions didn’t take long, and soon, all five were sitting in the meeting room.

Reese studied each of them, wondering what their skills were. Wondering what their motivations were. Wondering if their personalities would meld with the Elite or clash. He still didn’t trust Kirk, but without any choices, he had to keep an open mind and positive attitude. “So…Ron…” He cocked his head. “You’re the one that tracked down Garret. I must say, I’m impressed with that. You’re not with the FBI though so…what are you doing here?” He really was a bit confused on that one. Kirk had said the two women were from his department, but why was Ron still here after his case with Garret was done? 


“Knock, knock.” Axel wandered into the infirmary, finding Misty alone. Things felt a little tense around here, and he was sorry if he came at a bad time, but he’d finally taken Jess’ advice to come.

He offered Misty a small smile. It had been a while since he’d seen her. Quite a while actually, since she and Carson had separated. “I, um…didn’t want to bother you, and I probably should have called first, but I was at this end of town, so I thought I’d just stop by.” He leaned against her desk, but still hesitated. He knew in his gut that he was right…but it would be better to hear it from her.

Without wasting time with small talk, he held up his right hand. Though the bandages were off, now, bruising could still be seen, and it was obvious something had happened. “I got caught under a falling toolbox and…” He tried to straighten his fingers, but when he did, his hand started to shake, and he immediately stopped because of the pain. “I…think I’m back to square one…if not worse than that. But Jess insisted I have you look at it. You probably don’t have time today but I wanted to at least see you.”