January 7, 2017

Paint

Carson caught the subtle tone in Misty's voice and could tell that perhaps he was frustrating her. He hadn't meant to. How could he tell anymore what she really wanted though? 

He wandered around his empty living room and looked out the window, reaching out to run a finger along the crack. It wasn't too bad, but he'd have to replace it. Knowing he was being silent for far too long, he finally sighed. "Okay. I'll come. I, um... gotta finish up a few things but... I'll be over soon as I can." He bit his lip. "Sounds good, by the way. I... miss your grilled cheese."

Glancing back at his work, he knew he better get on it if he was going to get anywhere today. "See you guys later." Ending the call, he stuffed his phone in his back pocket and picked up the paint roller again...

...A couple hours later, Carson was throwing on his denim jacket and taking the porch steps in two strides. He'd completely lost track of time. He'd intended on a shower and change of clothes, but all he'd been able to manage now was washing his face, running a wet comb through his hair, and throwing on a little cologne. As he drove, he saw his hands and grimaced before picking some paint from under his fingernails. There were light gray-blue paint splatters on his jeans too. Oh well. 

It only took about ten minutes to get to Misty's, and he parked in the driveway as his stomach growled, reminding him he hadn't had lunch. Actually he hadn't been eating right for quite a while and he knew he must look thinner, now wearing his belt two notches tighter than he used to. Things were looking up though right? His Elite case was wrapped up, he had a house, Mac was getting healthier... And yet... 

He sighed and got out of the car, fiddling with his keys as he stepped up on the porch. He automatically went to open the door before stopping, sighing again and ringing the doorbell. 

"Hi!" Mackenzie greeted him with enthusiasm as she opened the door.

"Hey, Kiddo." Carson smiled and came inside. "Smells good in here."

"It should." Mackenzie skipped back towards the kitchen. "Sandwiches and soup are almost ready," she called back over her shoulder.

Carson chuckled and shed his jacket to hang it on the hall peg before following her to the kitchen. Just standing a moment in the doorway, he hooked his hands in his back pockets and watched her and Misty finishing up meal preparations. "Sorry I'm late," he apologized. "Lost track of time."


Aaron was on to his second taco and cocked his head a little to see the lock. "Uh huh." He took another sip of his pop, trying to drink it slowly so it would last a while. "I gotta wonder though, what your point is. I mean..." He shrugged. "If you're so worried about me getting out that you'd change the lock, why don't you just throw me back downstairs, regardless of doctor's orders?" 

He paused as he took the last bite of taco. "Order me around, ask me what I want. Lock me up, don't lock me up. Tell me I can't go anywhere, bring me gifts. I can't figure you out. You and everyone else around here is a walk-in contradiction. No wonder the Agency's got such a foothold. You can't decide what side you're really on."


Hunter's eyes roamed Ryan's face and he he gave her a smile. "Oh, well... in that case..." He pushed off the fence and started to walk again. "...We can take the long way around."

Wandering a different way than they'd come, Hunter made sure Ryan was following. "It's hard to see now, but off that direction," he pointed, "is a lane that goes to Wes and Cindy's house. Um..." He thought hard for a moment, scrunching his eyes. "So... Jason, with the Elite? Cindy's his mom. And you saw the little girl at dinner - she was the one in pigtails running around screaming and laughing." Actually, she'd been chased by Lane and had been having the time of her life to the dismay of Cindy. "So she'd be Jason's half sister."

Moving on, Hunter explained a few more places but did finally end up at Ryan's bunkhouse. Standing at the bottom of the steps, Hunter looked down at Ryan's eyes. "I think... I'm gonna turn in. If you... need anything though..." He smiled. "You know where to find me."