January 15, 2017

Just in Case

Hunter returned Ryan's smile, and gave her a playful squeeze. "Eh... It's pretty easy, not giving up on you." After pausing just a moment, he finally released her and slid off Buttons. Holding the mare still, he helped Ryan dismount, and gave her a satisfied nod. "Job well done. By the end of the week, you two are gonna be best buds." He didn't know for sure if Ryan was going to really want to ride that much...but he had a feeling she would. 

He suddenly realized his eyes hadn't left hers. Blinking, he dropped his gaze and aimed for the barn. "Come on... let's get this girl untacked and give her a treat for her good behavior."

In the barn, he showed Ryan how to take off all the tack, then found some treats in the feed room they could give Buttons. Standing in the aisle, Hunter caught sight of Dylan, who had come around the corner, seen them, then turned the other way. "Hey, Ryan... I've gotta sort something out. I'll be back." Leaving her with the mare, he went to find where Dylan had gone. 

"You survived!" Jeff came up to Buttons and scratched her cheek lovingly. He grinned at Ryan. "What did you think?"


At the other end of the barn, Hunter found Dylan kneeling in a back stall, fixing a broken wall board. "Hey."

Dylan looked up but then ignored Hunter as he pries the board loose with his hammer. 

Hunter sighed and came into the stall anyway. "Look, I know you're mad at me, but you have no reason to be."

Dylan just kept working.

"I know it looked bad with Ryan and me, and for that, I'm sorry. I wasn't thinking. But nothing happened. You gotta believe me."

Dylan finally paused and stood up, facing Hunter. His eyes squinted slightly. "You're right. It looked bad."

Hunter sighed. "I know. But honestly, Ryan and I hardly know each other. She's been going through a pretty rough time - that's why I brought her along. Her brother asked me to."

Dylan fiddled with his hammer. "And so... she in your bunk because...?"

"Because sometimes the nighttime can be a scary thing." Hunter's shoulders dropped. "There's nothing I can prove or disprove. Ryan fell asleep in my bunk last night. Yes. But that's all there was to it. She's not my girlfriend and we're not sleeping around. Okay?"

It took Dylan a moment, but he finally nodded. "Okay. I believe you." He glanced to his work, then back up again. "I could use a hand with this if you've got time."

Hunter grinned. "I gotta go help put the horse away first. But I'll be back."


Travis leaned his head into Ashlee's hand a little, his smile never fading. "I think I like it too." As much as he'd like to just stand here and continue this, he knew it would probably best to actually keep walking. 

Taking her hand again, he led her around the tree and back to the route they'd chosen. Not a whole lot was said... but maybe it didn't have to be.

Too soon, they were back in the ranch yard, coming up behind the main barn. Travis stopped and glanced around a second before facing Ashlee and setting his hands on her shoulders. "Just in case it's a while until next time," he teased before bending to steal a final, ever-so-light kiss to the lips. Not letting it linger, he just smiled and finally let her go, stuffing his hands in his pockets as he turned to head back into the thick of things. Seeing Eric filling a water bucket up ahead, he sighed. "And... we made it with two minutes to spare," he mused. "Not bad."