January 20, 2017

Sensory Overload

Just letting Sam talk, Hal's eyes drifted to the ground. He smiled a little though, in spite of the heat that crawled up the back of his neck and into his face. He was quiet for a few moments, then finally looked back up at her. His expression wore embarrassment, a bit of amusement, and some sheepishness. 

"That obvious, huh?" He chuckled and shook his head. "I'm...sorry. You're right - I... don't really do crowds. It's a sensory overload thing." He thumbed to the door. "If it was just people I might be okay, but the crowd, plus the music, plus all the lights... my brain just sorta wigs out sometimes and I can get super anxious." He paused and glanced back down again. "My, um... my ex... she would get pretty exasperated with me. 'Cause some days are better than others. So we'd go out, do something fun, even at a place like this, and I'd be okay. But then the next night, I wouldn't even want to go to the grocery story 'cause that was too much." 

He let out a slow sigh and just remained leaning back against the wall. Turning his head though, he had to laugh at her compliment. "Well thanks." He tossed her a wink. "You're looking pretty amazing yourself. Especially since you let me out of there with my dignity still in tact." She could very easily have embarrassed him in front of the others, but instead, she had give him an easy out to get a breath of fresh air. She was smart. And incredibly gracious. 

Pushing off the wall, he felt ready to go back inside again. Or at least ready enough. He aimed back for the door. "Come on. I don't want them to think we abandoned them. I can survive a while longer." 


Having the ring slipped onto her finger, a shiver ran down Rosalyn's spine and even more tears came, but they were happy tears. "Oh, Chad... You're the perfect one."

As his stomach growled, she giggled and wiped her eyes. "I think we better go feed that thing before it gets too angry." She slid off his lap and stood to brush the sand off the wrap she had over her swimsuit that she'd been wearing all morning. Grabbing a pair of jeans and t-shirt out of her bag, she slipped them on, then retrieved her flipflops too. "Okay... I'm ready to go get something to eat." 

Nuzzling under Chad's arm as they walked in the direction of the marina's parking lot, she couldn't help but hold out her hand and admire the ring again. "Can you imagine what you're brother is going to say?" She laughed. "Or April? Or did they already know?" 


Hunter wasn't too surprised with Ryan's choice, and didn't mind. "Okay. Follow me to the gate, and just sit tight." Once to the gate, he dismounted and took control of Buttons as he led her out of the corral and near the barn. He left her standing alone only a couple short minutes, trusting the mare to stay put, and she did. After doing a quick job of putting Bonzai away and promising him more riding later, he came back out. 

"Alright. Ready?" Without waiting for an answer, he swung up behind Ryan like he had the day before. "You wanna drive, or you want me to?"