January 22, 2017

You and Me

Wrapping his arm around Laura and sinking down a little more on the couch Nate took a sip of his coffee he had in his other hand. Hearing Laura's Aunt and Uncle would watch the kids Nate nodded. He felt very comfortable with them watching the kids, and it gave Garret a chance to relax himself too with the house. In a way, it would be a vacation for everyone. 

   "I think that sounds like a perfectly wonderful idea."

Turning his head Nate leaned in and gave Laura a kiss. She was always right there for him and knew what he needed and when he needed something. She was an amazing woman and he wished he told her more.

   "It's been a little bit since it has just been you and me."

Nate couldn't help but kiss Laura's lips again before pulling away and giving her a wink. Kissing her nose she smiled and let out a content sigh.

   "You always have the best ideas."

Thinking about Hal's question for a long moment Sam eat a little more of his ice cream replaying her answer in her head. She always had a hard time talking about herself. Why she didn't know but it was was just one of those things. She wanted to tell Hal though so he could get to know her a little more. She just had to try and gather her thoughts.

   "Growing up with five brothers was not easy. Especially when my parents wanted another boy rather than the girl they got. My parents worked a lot, and there was sometimes it went days before we actually saw them. We would be in best before they got home, and they would be gone when we got up."

Moving her spoon around in the melted ice cream Sam was quiet again for a long second. Most people thought when they looked at their family they were happy good church going people. While they did go to church, and her parents were strong Christians it was their lack of being together that hurt the most.

   "Somehow through it all though my brothers and I came out to all be pretty caring people. Maybe it's because we didn't want others to feel hopeless like we did. When I was thirteen though my second to youngest brother Tyler was in a pretty bad car accident that left him paralyzed from the waist down."

Sam took in a deep breath before letting it out slowly. Leaning forward on the table she looked up at Hal. It was always hard to talk about Tyler, and she really never had. Adison knew a little but not a lot. Why she was telling Hal now she wasn't sure.

   "One would think my parents would stay home more to take care of him but they didn't. They ended up being around less, and my older brothers were off to college so they were not around much either. I didn't want my parents to send him away anywhere so I took care of him the best I could. I was there on his good days, and I was there on his bad days. He's a school teacher now, and have learned to live his own life. I'm so proud of him. Sometimes I forget he is meant to be older than me."

Looking up at Hal Sam smiled as her eyes glistened a little. She had no idea if she answers his question with all her babble. 

   "So I guess you could say, that's just the kind of person I am. I care about those people who mean a lot to me. I don't like seeing them hurt just because life dealt them a crappy hand."

   "Mmmm..."

Ryan's eyes fluttered open as she tried to remember where she was. It didn't take long for her to remember as a twinge of pain ran through her back. It was more than likely from her fall. Once the pain and gone away Ryan realized how comfortable she really was there with Hunter. He was soft and warm and cozy.

   "Lumpy is not lumpy anymore...five more minutes. I'm too comfortable to move."