January 10, 2017

Cheating

Seeing the subtle excitement in Ryan's eye, Clint smiled a little. It wasn't every day he met someone this enthusiastic about mechanics, let alone a woman. He downed the rest of his pop and wandered around the tractor with her. Was that sadness in her voice? What was her story? He couldn't help but wonder what it really was that had brought her here.

"Oh, I have a sneaking suspicion it won't take you long to figure this old thing out," he mused. "It's just another engine. A rather... obnoxious one at the moment." He pitched his pop can into a nearby barrel, hitting it dead on before turning back to the tractor. "Been leaking oil. Always does. I keep patching it up. But it seems to have a death wish 'cause now it's not starting either."


Carson's eyes drifted downward as his fingers still toyed with Misty's. He was so glad and so relieved she no longer blamed him, but he still felt awful about everything.

"There's... a lot I wish I could take back too. Not just... not just the lie about me cheating on you." He swallowed hard. "About actually cheating on you before. Before we were married I mean. If I hadn't... you never would have believed the lie. The whole mess was because the Agency knew I was a player."

Sighing, he looked back up at Misty again. He was tired and still feverish, but his eyes showed more sadness than anything.

Managing to sit up, he turned sideways and took both of Misty's hands in his. "I really... just want to start over. I mean... I know it's not possible but... but I wanna try. I just... I took you for granted and... I never want to do that again."