January 10, 2017

Barrel of Fun

Clint just stood back and watched Ryan work, helping only when needed. When she was finished, he shook his head. He felt like an idiot. How long had he been staring at this engine? He should have found that. He should have been able to fix it. At least he'd maybe helped Ryan a little. He didn't usually get involved with visitors - not that there were many anymore. But he had to admit it was kind of nice to help make someone happy. 

He sighed a little but chuckled. "Hey... any time. I got a tractor needs a kick in the fender, too." He wandered to the fridge and pulled out a mountain dew and offered one to Ryan as well. "I get help every once in a while. Sparky's a pretty good mechanic himself, he's just too involved in the horses and doesn't have time to be in here. Wes used to run this garage, but... that's changed. I'm not fantastic with horses, so... this is my world seven days a week." 

He took a sip of pop and glanced around the unorganized chaos. "I don't know what your plans are while you're here, but you're more than welcome to hang out in here as much as you want. Doesn't bother me a bit." 


Justin stood and nodded to Sam as he picked up his backpack. "Here." He took a scrap piece of paper and pencil and scribbled his cell phone number on it before handing it to here. "If anything comes up, just give me a buzz. I'm an hour away when I'm at home, so unless I'm already in North Springs, it's not a quick trip, but I can get here as soon as I can if something happens. Or if you just have questions." He thought for a moment, then nodded again, satisfied. "I gotta go. I'll let Aaron sit a couple days, then I'll be back. Keep being cautious around him - I didn't mean to imply not to be careful. But hopefully between the two of us, his perspectives will start to shift." 

Once he was gone, Hal looked over at Sam for a moment. He trusted Justin... or at least he wanted to, but still... "I don't know," he admitted. "I'm not sure I agree with him that Aaron wouldn't hurt you."


Carson felt as though he might melt right there. He'd waited so long just to be here with Misty like this... it was as if his whole body could finally relax after having been tense for so very long. Her hand running through his hair was the kind of comfort he'd been lacking, and just knowing she was truly accepting him back... it was all he'd wanted. 

It was almost an hour before he'd wake up again, realizing he'd fallen sound asleep right there with her. She was finally able to convince him to go to bed, and crawling under the covers and resting his head on his old pillow... was a piece of heaven. It felt so strange and so welcoming at the same time...

...Suppertime. Carson pried open his eyes and looked at the bedside clock. He could smell food and knew Misty was probably getting them both some supper. He really wasn't hungry, and truth be told, he really didn't feel all that much better either. He managed to get up though, and despite his throbbing head and feeling rather wobbly, made it downstairs. 

Wandering into the kitchen, he came up behind Misty and put his arms around her waist, leaning his head over her shoulder. He sighed and closed his eyes, as her skin felt nice and cool against his own. "Boy, I've been a barrel of fun today, haven't I?"