November 8, 2016

Desperate

Jamison's eyes rose in surprise at seeing Adison, and he blinked. Was she serious? He knew she was nicer than most others around here, but even this felt too good to be true.

He leaned back in his chair skeptically and put his hands up behind his head. "The only thing I'm trying to get out of is more grief. You can handle the rest of this blindfolded, then credit will be given where due." He didn't mean to be snippy, but after his little run-in with Mark, his high from being out on a case had been completely deflated.

He swiveled a little more in his chair. "Just finish the case with Philip and I won't have to endure anymore snide comments. I deal with enough the way it is." He spread out his arms. "See, this is my world. Not out there playing with the big boys because if I take anyone's glory, I'll be out of a job." There. He'd said it. His arms flopped down again. "Now go back before Philip gets antsy and scares the pee outta Klarksen."


Gunner slipped his arm under Bree so she could lay her head on his chest, and he kissed her forehead. "I'll stay... You're not alone..."

Sitting under the stars was so peaceful, but after a while, the air became too chilly. Moving inside to the couch, Gunner curled up with Bree, true to his word about staying. But even though he was exhausted, his mind was far from sleep. He remained as still as he could, so as not to concern Bree though. He had no real reason to get sleep anyway since he had no deadline tomorrow without a job.


Jason came to a stop outside Nate's cubicle and hung over the wall. "Nate... You're the only one Reese is listening to lately." He bypassed all formal greetings. He'd only gotten a few hours of sleep last night, being forced to stay here like this, and he was miserable.

"Is there any way you can convince him its okay to let me out of here? I'm going absolutely insane, but Katie won't leave my side so if I leave, she gets in trouble too, and I don't want that." He huffed a sigh. "Besides, Kirk gave me a pretty cool bulletproof shirt and I'm dying to try it out."

He really was desperate. He couldn't live like this, and he knew they were getting nowhere with his case.