January 7, 2017

Grilled Cheese

Aaron was pleasantly surprised when Sam actually did return with a couple tacos. Setting aside his newly half-built car from scratch, he sat up a little better in bed. Taking a sip of pop first, he gave a contented sigh. "Mm..." The carbonation felt good sliding down his throat. He took one taco next and munched on it while watching Sam. Really? A new lock? He was amused, yet craned his neck a little to see what kind it was. One would assume he'd be upset that it would be more difficult to get out tonight, but actually, he couldn't help the little pleasure in a new challenge. 

He took another bite of taco and chewed thoughtfully until a little smirk surfaced as he continued watching her work. "I can help you with that," he teased. "I'm good at installing them, too."


"Hi, Justin."

Justin paused, only halfway through the door without Hal having looked up from his desk. "You know, that's a little scary."

Hal chuckled and finished chewing his mouthful before turning around. "Security cams make me feel rather powerful once in a while."

Justin grinned. "Well, I just stopped by to see Aaron. Reese wanted me to come back and continue what I started."

"Ah." Hal was a little surprised. He'd thought Justin was gone for good after the whole incident with Sarah and Grace. "He's graduated to the guest bedroom where Sam's with him now while he eats lunch."

Justin shifted his backpack on his shoulder before leaning in the doorway. "So...tell me what's been happening so I don't walk in blind."


Hunter smiled and shook his head. "Don't worry. He won't bite. Not unless you stick your fingers in his mouth."

"Hunter!"

He turned quickly finally seeing Dylan. "Hey! Where have you been? Thought I'd see you at supper."

A smile emerged on Dylan's face. "I was out here. I'll prolly grab a bite later."

"Party pooper." Hunter gave him a hearty handshake. "How've things been?"

"Eh. Can't complain."

Hunter cocked his head. The young man seemed... different. "You look happy."

"Yeah well..." Dylan shrugged and tuckdd his hands half into his jeans pockets. "I'm working on it." He eyes Ryan curiously.

"Oh, sorry." Hunter stepped back from the stall. Dyaln, Ryan, Ryan this is Mick's son, Dylan."

Dylan nodded politely. "Hi."

"We'll be here maybe a week," Hunter explained. "Just chilling."

There was still question in Dylan's eyes as to just how they knew each other, but he didn't ask. "A'ite. Well... I'll catch ya later then."

"Sure thing." Hunter watched him leave them turned back to Bonzai. "Okay, big boy. I'll be back. Promise." He led Ryan through the rest of the barn, winding up going out the back door and wandering to the pasture fence. Leaning on the top rail, he looked out at the waving grass, listening to the crickets and spotting a few fireflies. A chilly breeze blew since it was dark now, but it wasn't bad. "I've missed this peaceful place," he mused. He glanced over at Ryan. "Sorry. I've probably made this tour longer than you wanted. I can walk you back to your bunk if you want."


Mackenzie twirled the phone cord around her fingers as she waited for Carson to answer the other end. After sleeping well the rest of the night, the new day was passing by quickly. More quickly than she wanted. Fidgeting with impatience, she paced in a little circle at the kitchen counter until she heard his voice. "Dad!"

"Hey... What's up?"

"Um, well... I was wondering if you come come early to pick me up tonight."

Carson set aside his paintbrush and wiped his hand on his jeans. "Why? What's wrong?"

"Oh nothing. It's just... well we went shopping after church and Misty was gonna show me how she makes grilled cheese sandwiches." There was a long pause and Mackenzie bit her lip. "I thought maybe you'd want to eat with us."

Carson paced the empty living room. Was this Misty's scheme? She knew her grilled cheese was his weakness.

Mackenzie waited and threw Misty a wary look. "And...tomato soup?"

He looked down at the old carpet and nudged a piece of stray wallpaper with his toe. Justin had warned him not to push Mac away too much... That she needed a lot of love until she worked through all her issues. But... he hadn't planned on a meal with Misty. It's not that he didn't want to - this is what he'd wanted for so long. But would it just end in another rejection? He sighed. "Put Misty on, would you?"

Mackenzie's shoulders sank and she handed Misty the phone. "He wants to talk to you."

Once hearing Misty, Carson spoke again. He wasn't upset - he just wanted to know. "Was this something Mac cooked up in her own, or are you okay with this? I'll come, I just... didn't know if you really wanted me to."