January 6, 2017

Alec

Mackenzie's eyes went wide and she giggled. "Can we get some ice cream? Something with peanut butter in it? Tina is allergic to peanuts but peanut butter is one of my favorite things and I hardly ever get to have it." She gave Misty a crooked grin. "Sorry. Mom keeps telling me I get too excited."

The rest of the evening, Mackenzie had an absolute ball. Just being able to spend time with Misty was all she'd wanted, and the extra little pampering made her feel good. 

As they settled in on the couch a few hours later to watch a movie, she cuddled up to Misty, leaning her head over to rest on her as she snuggled under the blanket. With the quietness though came the time for thinking, and with thinking came thoughts that were only natural being in this house again. 

As there was a lull in the movie, Mackenzie's voice came out quietly. "Do you... miss Alec? Dad doesn't like to talk about him."


Aaron was a little surprised Sam stuck around, but he didn't mind. Scooting back on the bed, he tried to get comfortable while keeping track of the pieces he was using. He shrugged at Sam's question. "I dunno. I mean... I've always liked putting things together... ever since I was a kid."

He snapped a couple more pieces together as he worked on the gears for a new car. "When the Agency recruited me, they had me take some tests, and afterward, one of the first things they trained me to do was build and disarm bombs 'cause I had the brain for it." He shrugged again. "After that, they had me learning to crack safes... or doors, or whatever else. Out on missions if something broke down, like one of the vehicles, I got to fix it."

He put a couple more pieces together. "When I build something, I see what it'll look like... all the little details... So then I just... build it." 

Taking a single piece, he studied it for a few quiet moments. "When I was a kid, I used to looked up at the tall buildings or bridges, and wanted to be the one to design and build that kind of thing." He scoffed. "That was before I found out what life's really like."


Hunter nodded and smiled. "Yeah. Come on. Let's go to the dining room and eat some supper."

Taking her to the main house, more greetings and introductions were made. In the end, Hunter and Ryan wound up at a table with Rosetta, Mick, Sparky and Faith. Hunter knew it was a lot to take in, so he just let Ryan take things at her own pace,trying not to push or make her uncomfortable with all the new people.