January 1, 2017

Live with Scars

Hunter remained sprawled on his back, just letting time slow down for once. Ryan's question wasn't a simple one, and he felt a bit unqualified to answer it. Then again... he knew, in a way, how she felt. 

"Normal is... all in perspective," he mused. "I used to think I was normal. Then I found out not everybody's dad rejected them. I found a new normal. Then I got my heart broken. Found a new normal and was in an accident that changed everything." He sighed, remembering that fateful day with Break Out. "Fell into a new lifestyle for a long time after that...where drinking and picking fights was normal." 

He paused and took another swig of water. "When I was in Texas... before... I almost drowned. It was a turning point for me and... once again, I had a new normal. Nowadays I don't have a girl. Another new normal. So..." He shrugged. "Maybe it's not about going back to something old but going forward to something new."

It was a few moments before he spoke again. He didn't want to speak out of turn or make her uncomfortable. "Maybe it's about learning to live with scars instead of trying to erase the injury."


Hal's eyes snapped up to Sam's. Had she just... asked him out? It was all just in the name of fun though right? She wasn't implying any more than that... right? He felt silly for considering that. Of course she didn't mean anything by it. 

He couldn't help his laugh. "And the last thing we want is to add to the crankiness around here." He sighed and looked down for a moment. Whether she didn't mean anything by the invitation or not, was it a good idea? "I've got... stuff I gotta get done tonight..." His eyes glanced up again. How was it that Aaron could give that face such a hard time? "...And I suck at darts. But what the hey. Got a place in mind?"