December 8, 2016

My Mom


Coming into the barn slowly Ashlee’s eyes were red and her cheeks stained with tears. Talking to her mom hadn’t gone how she wanted at all and it upset her. Normally she wouldn’t make a big deal, but she really wanted to go into town with Travis. She hadn’t been to town in a long time alone, or with friends, not that she had any.

Seeing Travis cleaning out some buckets she wondered over right as he clanged some of them around. That spoke more words than anything and her shoulders dropped a little as she sighed.

   “Went that good for you too huh? I thought for sure it would be ok by now.”

Sinking down on one of the logs nearby Ashlee let out a sigh picking at some of the bark. It wasn’t often she was mad at her mom but right about now she was, and embarrassed too. She was being treated like a little kid and she didn’t like it at all.

    “It didn’t go all that great for me. My mom said I could go as long as she came with us. I…don’t want her to come through. That would just be a damper on everything. I’m sorry my mom is treating me like a baby. This is so embarrassing.”

Finishing up dinner Maggie helped clear the table and then went up to her room. Cleaning up she tried not to take to much time before coming down again thumping every step. Making her way into the living room her smile was large as she looked around at how Garret had changed it and couldn’t help but be excited.

   “I’m ready, I’m ready. How do we start?”

Leaning on the kitchen doorway and looking into the living room Nate smiled taking a sip of his coffee. He liked watching Garret interact with his sister. It was big brother like, and it just made him feel good knowing Maggie was happy.

   “I think more coffee is going to be needed. Garret looks exhausted I am surprised he agreed to teach Maggie tonight.”

Taking the napkin and looking at it Ryan tucked it in her pocket for now to keep it safe. Finishing her malt, she looked at Hunter and almost smiled at his comment of where she lived. She’d forgotten he didn’t know where she lived and that could be a problem.

It didn’t take long for Hunter to get Ryan home from where they were. Thanking him and letting him know she would contact him later Ryan gave a wave before heading into the house. Seeing Eli in the living room watching TV she entered and sat down next to him quiet for a long moment.

   “Had a rough day with Justin. Sorry I left you hanging and worried.”

Ryan was quiet again for a second. Her time with Justin today really had been rough and she just had to get away. Now thinking about it Eli must have been worried and she was sorry about that. Just keeping on talking she didn’t want to derail her thoughts. If Eli wanted to ask about her time with Justin he could and she’d tell him, but maybe they wouldn’t have to talk about it.

   “Ran into Hunter again too. He wanted to hold me to riding with him tonight at the race. I…told him I’d go if you wouldn’t mind taking me. If you have something planned though…that’s ok.”