December 27, 2016

Welcome Back

Hal didn't look up as Sam came into the room, and just focused on work. He knew she was still new around here, but didn't want to dictate every move she made, or pounce whenever she came into the office. He'd seen the cameras and knew the decision she'd made. 

As she spoke, he glanced up from his paperwork where he had his elbows resting on the desk, and grinned. "If there's one thing everyone around here had to learn eventually is that nothing needs to be or should be done alone. Lots of people try to go it alone, but it usually ends in disaster. So asking for help... is not only acceptable, but generally recommended." 

He straightened and opened one of the desk drawers, pulling out a mini Milky Way bar, which he tossed in her direction. "And chocolate always helps... Always. Just don't tell anyone about this stash or it will mysteriously disappear and then when we have a really bad day, we won't have the pick-me-up." 

Turning back to his paperwork, he paused, then looked over to her once more. "For the record - I woulda chosen the same thing today. Remember, you're limited by Aaron's own actions, which only he can control. Rick's just going through a hard time."


A coma? For a few days? Scott managed a thin smile. "If you're thinking I must feel like crap," he answered hoarsely, "then you're right." 

"Well...welcome back, Scott." JT smiled as he came into the room. 

Scott licked his dry lips and closed his eyes again as the data tried to take over. "Thanks... I think." 

"Mind if I poke and prod a bit?"

Scott smirked. "Like I have a choices?" He gave Hope's hand a little squeeze, not wanting her to leave. He really wasn't sure all what was going on and was just a bit frightened. "What...um..." He flinched as JT forced his eye open and shone a light into it. "What happened?"

"Mm..." JT listened to his heart and took his pulse before making a note on his clipboard. "Can you tell me?" 

"Um...last thing I remember..." Scott winced as a new wave of pain shot through his head. 

JT eyed him with concern. "Are you experiencing any kind of pain?"

Scott nodded, keeping his eyes shut. "Just, um... my head hurts. It... seems to come and go."

"Okay. I might be able to help with that. About what happened..."

"I was with Garret and..." Scott's breathing sped up just a little as he recalled being strapped into the assimilation chair. "And... and he had me hooked up and...and that's the last thing I remember." 

JT nodded thoughtfully before going through routine questions about his name, the date and his family. Everything checked out okay, satisfying JT for now. "You just rest a bit now, alright? I want to run a test or two to make sure the swelling in your brain has gone down, and if it has, you'll be out of here in no time." He patted Hope's shoulder as he passed by. "I'll make some phone calls, too." He knew she'd understand that he meant he'd be calling the Elite. 

Alone with Hope again, Scott managed to open his eyes again without the overload returning. "I...I didn't think... I'd survive," he admitted softly.