December 22, 2016

Lost My Way

Eli listened intently to Katie, reading her as she spoke. He trusted her honesty - even though he didn't know her all that well personally, her reputation preceded her, and he had faith she wouldn't lie. As she added about how she'd been drunk, he quirked an eyebrow. If Hunter hadn't taken advantage of a situation like that, she was probably right that he was a good guy. 

He smiled and nodded a little. "I'm glad to hear all that...I was hoping my instincts were right about him. I...appreciate your honesty." He thought for another moment. "Hunter said the ranch really helped him and I've heard bits and pieces of similar stories... Since you'd know it better than anyone... do you think it might do Ryan some good? She doesn't have a lick of knowledge about horses or anything - I just thought it might be good if she had some different scenery and we really don't have anywhere else she could go." He bit his lip as his shoulders sank a little, revealing, perhaps, how insecure he was in all this. "All I've got is Hunter's word that they kind of adopted him there, but...is there someone I need to call, or...?"


There really was little Garret could say, so he simply nodded to Nate. He knew he'd be told if and when there were any new developments with his current situation...but that didn't mean he wouldn't go a little crazy in the meantime.

Left alone again, he returned to his cot to sit back against the wall. He glanced up at the corner camera once, wondering if it was Hal who was keeping an eye on him again. How quickly things changed. How quickly he felt like he was right back at square one. Would Reese ever really trust him? Or was he doomed to forever struggle at earning trust from the people here? Maybe he didn't even really belong here at all. Maybe his information and skills weren't as valuable as he'd originally thought.


Aaron hadn't expected anything else, but still, there was disappointment in his gaze. At Sam's last comment, the corners of his mouth twitched, almost like a little boy who wanted to say something funny that he knew he shouldn't. He was pretty sure Sam wouldn't appreciate that type of humor. At least from what he'd gathered about her, and there was no point in turning her off, now that she was feeding him food besides frozen dinners, and taking the time to talk to him. 

He took his time eating the french fries...maybe more time than needed. The longer he ate, the longer he'd have before she'd restrain one of his arms again. 

"Ya know..." He chewed thoughtfully. "You're so sure the Agency would kill me. That's what all you people around here have wrong. There are definitely idiots in the Agency that deserve to get their head blown off, but I worked directly under Garret, which means I've got quite a bit of respect." He shook his head. "Contrary to popular belief, they wouldn't shoot me on sight. They'd actually listen to what I've got to say, execute Victoria for her betrayal, put out a hit on Garret, then probably promote me for my loyalty. So..." 

He glanced around the infirmary before looking back at Sam and locking eyes with her. "Tell me one good reason I would rather remain a prisoner here."


Hope looked tired. Beyond tired. And Justin felt badly. He made a mental note to go get her some coffee, but her last question put that on hold as he forced a half smile. 

"I'm doing fine." He glanced back at Scott's sleeping form. And his stomach churned. "No, actually, that's a lie." He sighed deeply. There was so much going on in his heart and mind. He hadn't even been able to express it well to Beth. 

"Ever since I totally screwed up with Garret, I feel like everything's off kilter and I can't find my balance again. I don't want anything to do with the Elite anymore, but here I am...checking in on Scott. I just... feel like I've lost my way."