December 27, 2016

Through

"I thought you would believe the note..." Scott couldn't feel worse. After everything, he'd still done it wrong. "I failed again didn't I? I just... I can't ever get it right anymore." 

His fingers curled around the bedsheets as his hurt and anger surfaced. "Ever since... since they had me and put me through hell... I haven't done anything right. I haven't eaten right or... or done my work right... or even treated you right." He swiped another tear from his eye. 

"There was a part of me that actually enjoyed blackmailing Garret. I'm so... scared of him. Of anyone from the Agency. And... and finally... I was the one in control." His gaze remained glued to the ceiling as everything he'd had bottled up inside bubbled over. "All Reese and Dalton do is try to protect me... I'm scared of my own shadow... And... and I just... I got so tired of it."

He fell quiet for a few minutes until he finally glanced over at Hope. "I'm sorry," he whispered. "I keep hurting you and you just won't let me go and I don't know what to do anymore."


"...No! I've had it up to here!" Rick burst into the infirmary and stalked to his desk where he grabbed a nearby box and started tossing things into it.

Reese followed him and threw Misty a frustrated look, throwing his hands in the air. "You can't just walk away!"

"Watch me." Rick's tone was harsh. Cold almost. "I have worked hard, countless hours, had countless sleepless nights for countless years, I have dug out bullets, sewed up knife wounds, played psychiatrist, pretended to be a forensic scientist, and been pushed around, shoved around, told how to do my job and gone completely ignored nearly seventy-five percent of the time by ninety percent of this one hundred percent insane, ungrateful, psychotic and stubborn batch of agents." He grabbed his favorite paper weight and put it in the box too.

"I have been put through the wringer, and for what? For Scott to go and actually purposely harm himself. And he's not the only one around here! What's the point in trying to make people better when all they do is intentionally destroy it anyway?!" He took his framed accomplishments off the wall and wasn't very careful as he packed them, too. "I'm through, Reese."

"But you can't-"

"Nobody ever listens to me, why should I listen to you?!" Rick grabbed his box and turned to give Misty a sloppy salute. "It's all yours. Have fun with it." Turning around, he almost ran into Reese. "Out of my way," he growled.

Reese held up his hands and stepped to the side to let him by, helplessly watching him leave. Glancing over his shoulder, he looked at Misty with desperation. "If you have anything to say that you think might keep him here, by all means say it."