December 28, 2016

Hug

Rick's head hurt and his heart hurt. This whole thing had pushed him too far, and he needed it to stop. As Misty came up beside him, he just kept walking. She wasn't making this any easier. They'd become close, working together the last few years, and if there was anyone he'd miss, it would be her.

Finally stopping out on the main floor, he sighed deeply. "No...I don't just need a vacation, because when I get back, nothing will have changed. I'll still hit a brick wall every stinking time I try to do something to help someone. I'm... I'm sorry." He looked to Misty with genuine apology, but just as much, there was anger and frustration. And before he could stop them, tears sprang into his eyes. "I can't do this any more." His voice had softened. "If you need anything or have any questions, just call me, okay?" 

Unable to say any more, he continued his route to leave the building. 


Having heard the commotion from his office, Jason glanced at Katie who had been going over some paperwork with him. His eyes went wide as he heard Rick's loud voice, and got up from his desk. Something was seriously wrong. Rick never shouted at anyone. Out in the hall, he met Reese, almost running into him. "Whoa. Reese. What's going on?" 

"I don't know." Reese set his hands on his hips with a groan. "Or I do. But I don't. Rick's leaving. Say's he's quitting for good and I can't stop him."

"What?" Jason's pulse quickened. He knew he always gave Rick a bad time, but Rick was one of the few stable things he had. The one person who had been looking out for him for years. Who knew all his ups and downs and what to watch for with his health. He and Misty were the only ones who knew how to deal with all the residual Agency crap symptoms. "But...why?" 

"Says he's fed up with dealing with people who just destroy everything he does to help." Reese shook his head. "It's been building, I know, but today I guess was the last straw."

"Today?" 

"Yeah. Scott's awake and he confirmed he really did blackmail Garret. Which means he did all this to himself. I guess Rick figured he'd spent far too much time trying to help Scott to have him do this and throw it all away. He came back here, packed up a box and...there he goes." Reese sighed and aimed for his own office. "I...have work to do." 

Left alone with Katie again, Jason looked down at her with worry in his eyes. "Tell me this isn't happening." 


"But... I liked who I was." Scott searched Hope's face for answers he knew she didn't have. He was lost - it wasn't her fault. She couldn't fix him. No one could. But everything he did seemed to affect those around him and he kept messing it up. 

Hearing once again that she loved him, his anger subsided, replaced with more sorrow...more hurt... more sadness. "I'll never understand why," he whispered. He swallowed hard and thought for a few quiet moments before shifting a little so there was a bit more room next to him. "Can...can you just...give me a hug? I don't feel very good."