December 2, 2016

Isn't Ready Yet


Looking down at Ashlee, Dylan quite suddenly realized how deep her brown eyes were. Had they always been that way? She was always so attentive to him and seemed to know when to talk to him or when to avoid him... But he hadn’t really afforded her the same, had he? How long had it been since they’d actually talked? 

“You don’t need to thank me.” He shrugged. “Thank Sharpshooter for wanting the exercise.” He glanced to his reins to straighten them out, while inside he was kicking himself. He knew good and well that wasn’t the kind of response she would have wanted. “We um...we better get going though, otherwise I will be in trouble again.” 

As Sharpshooter jumped, Dylan automatically slid his leg back down where it belonged to straddle him before holding him steady. His eyes snapped across the creek where the deer had just sprinted off, startling the horses. 


“At least your guy got what he deserved,” Aaron muttered. Victoria was still out there, free, while he was in here, stuck and with no control over his own life at all. 

Looking up at Sam, he grinned. “There’s a camera right up there.” He pointed to the ceiling. “Hal is quite certain I haven’t done anything but plant myself here because I’m too weak to do anything else. Which is also why you’re with me alone. Because he knows even if I do try anything, I can’t get any further than the hallway at most, making you perfectly safe.” 

He remained seated and just cocked his head. “And my knee isn’t ready to get up yet.”