December 10, 2016

Disappointed


Travis didn’t resist Angel’s gentle affection, but instead, just melted into her arms. He’d never been shown love during an argument with his mother…he’d just always been physically punished. So getting a hug in the middle of a heated discussion like this, threw him for such a loop that all he wanted to do was pretend all of this had never happened. Tears stung his eyes. Not because he was upset about this current situation though, but because the wounds from his mother were now hurting all over again. “I didn’t mean to make anybody mad,” he mumbled into her shoulder. Pulling away a little, he looked at her eyes, forgetting his dad was in the room with them. “I’ve been scared for so long.” Only she would know he wasn’t referring just to the Agency. “I just can’t live like that anymore… I can’t.”

Watching his sister and son, Lane’s confusion increased. There was something more going on here than he knew about, but what? What had he missed? Since when had Angel and Travis become so close, and why was Travis all of a sudden so distraught? Were those tears? Lane couldn’t remember the last time he’d seen his son cry. And today, just because he was getting yelled at? It wasn’t making any sense.


Ashlee’s words hit Eric’s heart like a knife. She’d never spoken to him like that before, and it hurt more than he expected. Even after she’d opened the door, her tone twisted the invisible knife. Stepping inside, he closed the door quietly and pulled an extra chair around to straddle it backward and look at her. He was going to talk, even if she refused to turn around.

“I know you’re upset with your mom, and probably me, too, but we’re only doing what we feel is best for you.” He wasn’t sure what to say or how to say it. He’d never had to deal with this kind of thing before, but he knew he needed to. “I’m not mad at you, just very disappointed.” He was stern, but kept his tone gentle. “I thought you had a better head on your shoulders than this. I know you like Travis, but that’s no excuse to deliberately disobey your mom like that. I’m glad nothing happened, but still, that doesn’t justify you taking off without telling anyone. Travis seems like a nice guy, but he was incredibly irresponsible.”

It was hard to decide whether Ashlee’s words or his own hurt the most. “I have to agree with your mom’s decision to ground you from riding, and… I’m also going to see to it that Travis keeps his distance for a while. I don’t think he meant any harm, but he was highly inappropriate in doing what he did, and I just don’t want you getting hurt.” He paused, wondering if his words were even sinking in at all. “Do you understand?”