December 10, 2016

Any Time


Letting Angel work and wincing a little but not complaining, Travis listened to her and sighed again. “I appreciate the offer…really… I just… was hoping we could manage without a chaperone.” He understood there was a risk and he knew they were all just trying to keep him and Ashlee safe, but after all, he old enough to make up his own mind. And so was Ashlee.

As Angel finished up with his hand, he nodded this thanks. “Thank you. I’ll need to find an extra pair of gloves. Sparky warned me but I thought I could manage at least one day. Go figure.” He gave her a wry grin and stood from the chair. “I’ll still consider your offer,” he concluded. “Maybe I’ll talk to Ashlee about it too.”

Going to leave, he paused, then turned back around a little with a bit of a grin. “Um…so you think it’s okay? I mean about me and Ashlee? I don’t know her mom well enough to gauge if I’m treading on thin ice.”


“It’s not silly,” Eli assured. Actually, he was glad to see Ryan concerned with someone else. She’d been so focused on her own problems lately that seeing her now paying attention to someone else’s needs proved she’d made a step forward in starting to look beyond her situation. “He seems like an okay guy I think. 
I guess I can keep my eyes open and see if it looks like he’s got any friends who show up at the races…” Stopping at an intersection, he looked to his sister again to study her face for just a moment. “Unless…you were thinking something else?” He really wasn’t sure where she was headed with this one, but if she thought he or they or she should offer to hang out with Hunter, she was going to have to say so.


Flopping down on his back as the B movie played, Hunter smiled a little.

You’re stronger than you think.
Just be patient with yourself.
That was all you tonight.
All I did was drive.

He sent the text and shifted his eyes to the television for a few seconds before returning his attention to his phone.

If you ever wanna get back behind
the wheel during the day without
anyone else around, just let me know.