December 10, 2016

Useless


Aaron cocked his head in thought, but then returned his focus to the magazine, thumbing through some pictures of cars, and finding some interesting looking articles.

Then he looked back over at Sam. “And when you’re at home and aren’t working? What do you do then?”


Scott almost smiled, but not quite. “Fear of death can keep a man from doing what he ought,” he reasoned. “Fear of failure can be just as bad. But fear of being useless…that’s… the worst of all.”

He frowned as his mind continued to work. “I’m tired of being afraid. Tired of being…like this.” He looked down at himself. “I’m…useless.”


Jamison pursed his lips, then shrugged at Adison. “I dunno. Several things, I guess.” He slowly smiled, thinking of his sister. Thinking of doors God opened. Thinking of the look on Barnes’ face when he’d resigned.

“Can’t be worse than dealing with Mark, right?” He glanced around the main floor. “Couldn’t pick out any jerks from the profiles I read, but you never know.” His eyes went to Kirk, then returned to Adison. “I’m not sure exactly where I belong in here, though.”