February 12, 2017

Reconsider

Levi worked on his food while Karla talked so his facial expression wouldn't come on too strongly. He could tell her heart had been very hurt, and it made his own heart hurt. He knew sometimes he was too sensitive. At least that's what his mom had always told him. But he couldn't help it. 

He chewed another bite and nodded slowly. "I'm sorry... that's rough." He hadn't known Karla all that long, but he couldn't imagine her being a bad girlfriend. And whatever more her ex had wanted couldn't have been good. 

He offered Karla a gentle smile. "Don't worry. I'm not in the market for anything but a friend. Honest. I'm too busy for anything else anyway." He thought about people he'd tried to stay in touch with. "I can't even manage a penpal. Maybe that's why I've only had one girlfriend and she dumped me last year for a guy who didn't have a job. He had plenty of time for her."

Saying it out loud sounded a lot more lame than it had in his head, and he couldn't help but laugh. "The one thing I have apparently perfected is sounding like a dork though. Maybe you should reconsider hanging out with me."


Hunter returned Ryan's kiss, and hearing her words, he slipped his arms around her waist, pulling her against himself. "Nope. I can't promise things won't change because they will. Nothing ever stays the same." His smile became visible in the moonlight. "But I have no idea why you'd even think it possible to forget you."

He knew she was worried that once they returned home, he'd ignore her. That all this hadn't been real. And truth be told, he was pretty sure it wouldn't take long for her to realize she didn't need him any more. But for now... he'd accept it for what it was.

Leaning down a little, he rested his forehead against hers, keeping his arms around her. "I don't care what anybody whispers or says at the top of their lungs about you, me, or us. You're an amazing woman and I have no intention of letting something as silly as gossip get between us. Okay?"


Ashlee's response made Dylan smile and he nodded. "I got work in the morning too. So maybe after lunch."

Pausing, he finally nodded and aimed for his own bunk. "G'night. See ya tomorrow."