February 18, 2017

Newfound Skills

Seeing how pleased Lucy was, Jamison couldn't help his amused smile. He kept everything. He was a neat and organized packrat, but a packet nonetheless. Today though, had proven a good reason not to throw things away. "At the very least, it might give you a few chuckles. If you run across any random notes about how I felt about my teacher, you might want to ignore them."

He grinned and took another bite of his apple then patted her backpack. "For now though... let's pick up where we left off yesterday..."

About forty-five minutes later, Jamison was seated next to Lucy, pointing out the last few notations. His watch beeped, reminding him he needed to head back to work, and he sighed. "Well, I guess that's my cue." He straightened and stifled a yawn. "I think you've got the hang of things though." He nodded. In all reality, she probably didn't need his help again, at least not for a while. 

Spilling both their apple cores, he picked them up and pitched them into the nearby garbage can, getting a bullseye both times, just like he had yesterday. Glancing back at Lucy, he gave her a new, light smile. "Go impress the professor with your newfound skills."


Scott snickered, but nodded. "Deal." He accepted a glass and helped pour their soda drinks. "She probably just wants to make sure you fit into your suit for the wedding," he teased.

It didn't take long to get comfortable in the living room. Scott picked a chair where he curled up to slowly work on some jerky and sip his pop. His stomach might not be too happy later, but for now, his taste buds were at least enjoying it, and it was a welcome sensation.

Some light conversation ensued, and soon the talk had naturally shifted to work. "...Justin still won't clear me so... I just try to keep myself occupied most days... I just mostly want to come back to work of only for the routine but..." He shrugged and rubbed his blind eye. "I dunno. Maybe I'm not meant to be a part of the Elite anymore."


A new smile spread across Hunter’s lips and he backed off, giving Ryan enough space to finish what she needed to before they left. “Mmm, I forgot about breakfast, so I’m kinda hungry too,” he admitted. “I may have been thinking about Chinese. Or maybe Mexican. Italian…” He paused to think. “Or maybe just subs.” He gave her a sidelong glance. “How about we just drive and see which restaurant jumps out in front of us?” 

“Don’t run over any innocent customers if that happens.” Axel walked by with an amused look on his face. “Had that happen to me once. Barely missed an elderly couple in a booth.”

Hunter quirked a new grin. “Man, that must’ve been scary.” 

“’Bout had a heart attack.” Axel wiped his hands on a rag. “The old man, not me.” 

Hunter laughed and shook his head. “I’ll be sure to keep my eyes on the road.” 

Axel lifted an eyebrow and looked at Ryan then back at Hunter. “Uh-huh.” 

As he walked away, a little color came to Hunter’s face, but he kept smiling and put his sunglasses back down over his eyes before looking to Ryan again. “I get the strange feeling I better behave, or I’m gonna have a mob of mechanics all over me.” He led the way outside and to his car, and it wasn’t but a few minutes before they were heading across town. 

“So we’ve got subs…” He glanced out the window one way, then the other. “Or Chinese… or Mom and Pop’s pizza… or fried chicken… what sounds good?”