February 12, 2017

Outside Work

Sparky's eyes narrowed at Ryan. "I don't know about you..." 

Hunter laughed and slid down a little lower in his chair, tired but unwilling yet to call it a night. "Told ya." His foot found Ryan's again before nudging her shin with his toe and grinning. 

Sparky chuckled - he was always out to win, but he liked the fun company more than anything. Glancing over at Dylan and Ashlee, he quirked an eyebrow. Dylan was being strangely cozy. They'd talked about him letting himself be happy and liking Ashlee if he wanted to without feeling guilty, but even so, it was quite a switch, and Ashlee looked less than comfortable. What was really going on?

Feeling Ashlee shift, Dylan automatically righted himself, giving her a little more space. His face flushed ever so slightly that most wouldn't even notice. He stifled a yawn and shook his head. "I dunno..." He glanced over at her, just studying her face. "I think my luck ran out." 

Holding his stare for a moment, he finally looked back at his cards, realizing it was his turn. Of course, he couldn't play, so he wound up drawing even more cards. 

As the game went on, one by one, players dropped off. Clint went home to Wendy, Jade said goodnight with Dan walking her back to her bunk, and Sparky finally called it a night, which took Faith away too. Eventually it got late enough that the rest of them decided they better quit so they could all get out of bed in the morning...

...Walking to the row of bunks, Dylan trailed along behind Ashlee, pausing as she walked up the steps to go inside. "Hey, Ash..." He paused, looking up at her. "Wanna go for a ride tomorrow afternoon?" 

Not too far away, Hunter walked slowly, hand in hand with Ryan until they'd reached her bunk. Stopping at the porch, he turned to her and smiled. "I think... I better say goodnight or I'll never be able to drive tomorrow." He reached up to brush her cheek with the back of his hand. "Sleep well, okay?" 


Karl's tone as she answered with the mention of friends made Levi's eyebrows rise. A little color came to his cheeks and he chuckled. "Yes. I'm sorry. I didn't mean..." He cleared his throat. "Of course, as friends, and yes... that's all I meant by today's lunch too." He felt badly he might have given Karla the wrong impression, and his expression was one of apology. "I just don't want you walking on eggshells 'cause of your job, that's all. Having fun outside work... is outside work." 

He nodded for emphasis. "If it'll help, think of me as a coworker and my dad as the boss." He grinned. "Besides, you'd have to do something pretty major for me not want you around the office. I'd never survive without your sticky notes."