February 11, 2017

Being You

Hunter's eyes fell as he toyed with Ryan's fingers. Did she really feel that way? Was she just caught in a good moment with high emotions? He couldn't have made that much of a difference to her, could he?

His gaze rose again to fall into her eyes. She was telling the truth. He thought about their hotel stay and the fun in the pool. Their laughter. Playing card games. Chasing each other in the hay loft. Holding her all night. Seeing her smile. That smile was genuine. It was the real Ryan surfacing again in spite of all she'd been through. And as much as he'd tried not to... Hunter had fallen for her. 

A small smile formed as his eyes danced with life. "I really don't want to stop seeing you when we go home," he admitted. "I've gotten pretty used to your company in a short amount of time and..." As the breeze blew a strand of hair across her face, he reached up to tuck it behind her ear. "...You made me forget how lonely I'd been."

Bonzai shifted his weight as he continued to stand patiently. Hunter had almost forgotten they were sitting on a horse. Sliding off sideways into the ground, he reached up to help Ryan off too. It would be good for her to stretch her legs a bit so she wouldn't be quite as sore later.

Taking the reins in one hand, and Ryan's hand in the other, he walked slowly through the tall grass. "I want you to know that... anything you've gone through or... any issues you're facing... they don't scare me." He glanced at her as they walked. He knew she hated the talk that she was crazy, and she worried no one accepted her anymore. "All you gotta do is just... keep on being you. 'Cause that's who I've really enjoyed spending time with this week."


Levi sighed at Karla as they halted at a red light. "I haven't done anything for you yet that you didn't deserve." 

He glanced over at her and felt almost...pity. Why did she resist every time he tried to do something nice? Was her self-esteem that low? The light turned green and they started forward again. "I want to take you to lunch because you're worth it. You became an asset to the business overnight, and besides all that, you're my friend. Can't a friend buy another friend's lunch?"

He pulled into the tiny parking lot near the building and parked, shutting off the engine. He tossed Karla a smile. "And on top of everything else, you do not want to argue with me. Because you'll lose. So just accept the fact that I admire you, and pick where you want to go eat." He pointed a finger at her. "And don't choose a place just because it's cheap. This is my way of thanking you for everything and if you don't let me, I'm going to feel bad."