January 8, 2017

Boring

Hunter gave a light chuckle. "Of course... You've got me too." Ryan's next words sent a little pang to his heart, while at the same time it was a compliment. Katie had always had Jason in her heart... Dumb? Not really. Just in love with another man. But... Ryan really  thought Katie was dumb? His heart rate picked up just a little.

He sighed, about to respond when her question made him stop and think. He didn't know what kind of a guy Alec was, really, so he had nothing to compare him to. But... Ryan liked this?

"I dunno," he answered lamely. "Guess I just..." His fingers ran softly up and down her arm absentmindedly. "...care, that's all." His heart rate picked up a little more, and he hoped she wouldn't notice with her ear to his chest. "You didn't deserve what happened and you should have another chance to be happy, that's all." His fingers stopped and he just laid his hand on her arm. "Besides, my life was getting boring anyway."


Hearing Misty's comment about asking him to move back in sent Carson's eyes straight to hers. What? Since when was she actually wanting that? And what was that tone in her voice? He suddenly felt very on edge.

Just watching her, he could see the emotions building, and he could see the tears behind her eyes. This...this was what he'd been trying to avoid. And if something wasn't said soon, there would be an eruption and that would just make things worse.

Mackenzie shook her head at Misty, oblivious to the tension. "I'm getting full." She grinned and pushed her plate aside. "I already had two sandwiches."

Seeing she was finished eating, Carson cleared his throat. "Hey, Mac... Why don't you go upstairs and call your mom and let her know you'll be home in the next couple hours?"

Mackenzie frowned a little. "But I -"

"Go on," Carson promoted a little more sternly. "Then make sure all your stuff is packed up."

Not understanding her father's tone, but recognizing he wasn't playing around, she finally got up from the table. "Okay. I'll be back down in a few minutes."

Once she was gone, Carson's eyes returned to Misty, though he was silent for a few more moments. "I guess maybe I gave up," he finally commented. "Never thought I would, I just..." He shrugged. "I couldn't keep getting rejected every time I tried to win you back. It hurt too much. So... when the house showed up... I just decided to make my own path and... see if you'd follow me for once." He pursed his lips. "I'm sorry... Maybe coming over tonight wasn't such a good idea."